Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a deal on a borla single axle back for $50 put it on it sounds ehhh ok but I would like to replace the scuba what would beta good quality and sounding muffler to put in place of the scuba? I don't want it to sound like a raspy nightmare! Lol would like it to be mellow and low.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not too bad you can't expect much from our exhaust lol! I think replacing the scuba with a round magnaflow or a borla would probly make it sound pretty good I may go down to my local muffler shop and try out some mufflers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where at there is a place here that usually hooks it up good. They have done like 10 exhaust systems for me they charge $30 to cut off and weld a muffler up if you provide it and they are ok priced for there mufflers even though it's cheaper to get them off amazon.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anyone put a glasspack in place of the scuba the guy I got my borla from wants to swap my factory scuba for his full length glasspack scuba setup. I cant find videos of exhaust that is just borla and a glasspack only seems like people still have another type of muffler i know it would have to be crazy loud so im not sure if it would be good or nt but... if i do that he is swapping my trd drop in filter for his ingen cai so it seems like i should lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well since i was given a eBayexhaust by a guy off Craigslist I bolted it up tonight. The new res and midlife to my borla 1st off glad I didn't buy one of these so cheap the flanges aren't even the same sizes where they meet lol. Anyways it is stupid loud lol I will try to put a video up on YouTube of it tomorrow. I couldn't event go over idol down my street might as well be a straight pipe from header back! But it was nearly sounding once I opened it up . It is coming off and I will stay happy with my borla axle back .

·
Registered
86 Posts
anyone put a glasspack in place of the scuba the guy I got my borla from wants to swap my factory scuba for his full length glasspack scuba setup. I cant find videos of exhaust that is just borla and a glasspack only seems like people still have another type of muffler i know it would have to be crazy loud so im not sure if it would be good or nt but... if i do that he is swapping my trd drop in filter for his ingen cai so it seems like i should lol.
Go to youtube and search for 2009 Scion xB dual Borla exhaust with glasspack the guy has done three videos two drive by and one siting in his driveway.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The magnaflow is by far my favorite sounding with the VVT-i. Love that sound.
Tardis can you go into more detail? What item did the Magnaflow replace on your xB? The pre-rear axle scuba tank, or the post-rear axle resonator?

I am thinking about replacing the post-rear axle resonator with a Magnaflow or even just a resonator, however it's obvious Toyota took a lot of care designing the exhaust system on our cars. I want a deeper, slightly louder tone, but not a fart can. To me, the TRD exhaust sounds a bit fuzzy and the Borlas sound somewhat raspy.

(Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but we all have our own tastes about what "sounds good" to us.)

Also, since I'm in CA, I need to be careful so I'll still pass emissions.

Thanks in advance for any replies and/or opinions.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I saw the videos youube sucks though everything sounds different in person. Plus a glasspack is so different than a muffler. Amagnaflow in place of the scuba is awsome but its still crazy loud unless you use a rear muffler or extra res. I think Im going to put a magnaflow and put the smallest res I can find towards the end. Thats kinda backwards though lol. 18-20 " 6" round magnaflows are a good size for scuba swap. Since your in cali glad im not there lol you will probly fail if you loose the scuba that is if its a reasl cat and res together cause the extra cat is what helps burn off all the extra bs coming out your exhaust from what i understand. You could get a high flow magnaflow cat and a 12" round magnaflow to put right after it and then t would sound good. I just cant afford all that lol. There is plenty of room to do that in place of the scuba.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok I have stumbled across something that most people probly wouldnt notice. I had the new stainless res trd replica and midpipe then my borla as i said it was crazy loud not like the gut on youtube with a glasspack deeper and more fart can sounding lol. Alot of rasp and whip sound when at certain rpm. The pipe from the res back is what causes the rasp not the res. I drove it with just the tiny stainless res on and it was bad *** sounding very very mellow and deep no rasp really at all! The factory piping is I think 2" new one 2 1/2" Im sure the stainless pipe was adding to the whip sound no joke if your are standing behind the car when I start it and if i touch the throttle when i turn it over it will make you jump lol it was insane loud. If the darn scuba wasnt right under the front I would put a dump off the res. Of coarse inside the cab it was a droning deep bassey mess lol. Just thoought I would share my find with everyone cause the exhaust for the xb sucks all around its just a pain to get just the right sound and performance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I found a retired header builder for NASCAR that lives in Northern AZ. He said he got tired of all the traveling and just retired. He now builds exhaust systems from time to time. We are driving the 120 miles and leaving him our xB for a week or two. I told him I wanted 2.5" exhaust from the OEM header to tip. All I asked for sound wise was not to sound like a sewing machine, not loud either as we are up there in age. The only thing I asked was to keep the OEM tip (that sides off) and to keep it as close to the stock location as he could. Looks like room for a 6" round by 18" long Magnaflow in place of the "scuba" and a 5x8x18 rear Magnaflow muffler. The sizes could change as I will leave it up to him.

Plan on dropping off the xB next weekend. I will post again after it's done.

AZ

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool that should be nice. I will be awaiting the pics and results.man you might be better off going 2 1/4 though our cars just don't need 2 1/2 unless your gonna turbo it! After having that 2 1/2 pipe under there it looked so out of place lol. But that guy knows what he's doing so it will turn out nice I'm sure.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Cool that should be nice. I will be awaiting the pics and results.man you might be better off going 2 1/4 though our cars just don't need 2 1/2 unless your gonna turbo it! After having that 2 1/2 pipe under there it looked so out of place lol. But that guy knows what he's doing so it will turn out nice I'm sure.
Hmm, that's a thought. Plus you wouldn't need such large mufflers when down sizing to 2.25".

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Yes true i have 2 1/4 on my 57 Chevy bellaire sounds great and flows enough. So our little bitty 4 banger would in no way. We'd 2 1/2 problem not even 2 1/4 just good flowing mufflers. The factory scuba is 21/2 in and 2 out so I you have a better res and muffler you will be good to go .

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Your name isn't Austin is it?
That was a former member who vanished that also had a 57' Chevy that was a mild-cruiser rod. Looked nice.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.