Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After futzing around with it for a day, I discovered something that will have to be addressed or corrected. The backs of the front seats are the very opposite of kid-friendly. I know kiddies in the back seat do not fall in to Scion's target demographic, but it's a good roomy cheap family car too. As Honda discovered with their attempt at a "cool box" - the Element. The backs of the front seats are a thin layer of cheap-feeling stretch fabric over - nothing. No backing board or anything, just a big trampoline. It will positively get destroyed by little feet.

I investigated by unhooking the skirt made of floor carpeting, and lifting it up. You have to remove some steel ties to get into the cavity of the seatback. The frame of the seat is fairly exposed and accessible. My idea is to insert a piece of 1/4" plywood or hardboard (pegboard would give lots of good attachment locations) , approx 16" x 18", under the stretch fabric, and mount it directly to the frame with zip ties. You would probably have to cut the fabric of the seatback to get it in. Then staple the fabric back to the new board. Next step would be to cover the board with something durable. My first thought was rubber flooring material such as Roppe - I think you can get it in diamond plate pattern. Then I saw you can get light gauge diamond plate sheet metal at Pep Boys now, in silver and black. A black diamond plate seat back would be pretty cool looking and indestructible. Heck they could decorate it with refrigerator magnets.

I also thought about lining the trunk floor and rear seatbacks with the stuff. For the dog, and trips to home depot.

This will be a total DIY project, but I am very reluctant to cut into the new car so soon. I'll let it it go till after the holidays at least, but there are already footprints on the back of my seat and I've had the car a day.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the heads-up on this. I'll be squeezing ;) 3 kids back there from time to time, and even though
they are 13, 12 and 9, they sometimes like to kick the back of the seat.

Please, if you do this, lots of photos!

·
Registered
67 Posts
how far back do you have your seats? I'm 6' and my wife can sit behind me and has more than enough room to sit same as my 16mo old. I think he would have to out grow his car seat and a booster seat to be able to kick the back of the front seat. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts