Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I my quest for wheels I thought I'd entertain the idea of getting some secondhand OEM wheels from basically any car if I liked them from Craigslist or something if they were a good deal. I might even call up the local junkyard to see what they get in for wheels or what they do with them. Then I could powdercoat them a dark color like I want. My buddy did this with S2000, he bought an identical set of OEM wheels and had them powdercoated and they turned out great. Supposedly it's even more durable than most wheel finishes anyway... and the wheels would be OEM something which is kind of cool.

There are Drags on discounttiredirect that I would like to have that I can get for a low low $390 right now! If I can get a good enough deal, the secondhand wheels could be kind of fun and maybe even cheaper. Some come with decent tires also. I've very briefly searched for costs for powdercoating and it's not too much actually.

So I wanted to throw these out there to see what you thought. I've got the general idea of bolt pattern, offset, etc. as I've been taking notes in other threads here but I'm still a beginner.

Lexus RX300 Rims (4) w/Tires - $300
Is that too low of offset with 6.5" width?

16 rims 90 % tread - $200
I'd have to ask for more info but the tires would be wider and taller I guess, right? Taller is bad since it would change the tire+wheel diameter correct? But would the wheels work?

What do you guys think? Is this project worth a shot? I know it will be hard to beat $390. Also I'm not sure about the OEM wheel weight, it might be heavier which I don't want. However it might be better since they probably make them to higher spec casting method than the aftermarket wheels in my price range.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
I always go to rimsntires.com for these types of questions. You can enter your car make and model and stock tire size, then use the Compare Sizes link to see possible error and/or fitment issues. Since you are looking at Lexus rims it's likely they will fit but check for a 5 x 114.3 (5 x 4.5) pattern which is our bolt pattern.

The first link did not work for me. The second link will give a 5% speedometer error.

Personally I like aftermarket wheels over OEM wheels but to each their own. If you powdercoat you will definitely get what you want.

Have fun!

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah rimsntires is really handy for that. Good tip. It looks like the RX300 rims are gone.

I'm going to continue my test fits over here with the help of eroczs box which turns out to be very amenable to quick wheel changes.
Hey erozcs, I drove down to Texas and swapped your wheels while you were sleeping to see how they looked

BMW wheels pretty much only fit BMWs unfortunately. I've always liked BMW's wheels and there are a lot of them on craigslist.
What do you think about these? :)

They are stock Tiburon 16s, same bolt pattern, and come with right size tires (75% tread left) for just $250... very tempting. I don't know about that large center cap but I could just remove it if I wanted. Otherwise I'd get a small Scion badge for them.

· Registered
243 Posts
where are my royalties? :wave:

· Registered
243 Posts
haha!

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Mike's collecting wheels . . .
Phobic is jealous.

Oh, and if anyone wants, check out HikingMike's site, inc. his links to Everest's glacier. Worth your time.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haha, collecting hypothetical wheels I guess. I'm still favoring the Drag DR-31s.

Hey thanks dude :) Yeah it's pretty awesome imagery and could scroll around that for a while.

I've got a ways to go to fill out my site. I have backpacking trips to load up yet since 2005, then plenty of day hikes and others stuff waiting to be written up. I've built up notes over time so I just need the time to finish things off and load them up. Meanwhile I'm posting blog stuff that I think is neat and relevant.

· Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok here are the hypothetical Drag DR-31s. Charcoal Grey, no machined lip or red ring.

I like

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Haha, collecting hypothetical wheels I guess. I'm still favoring the Drag DR-31s.
Oh, ok, now I realize you are photo-editing different wheels on, deciding which to spend money on. I thought they were all purchased cheap . . .

Hey thanks dude :) Yeah it's pretty awesome imagery and could scroll around that for a while.

I've got a ways to go to fill out my site. I have backpacking trips to load up yet since 2005, then plenty of day hikes and others stuff waiting to be written up. I've built up notes over time so I just need the time to finish things off and load them up. Meanwhile I'm posting blog stuff that I think is neat and relevant.
Cool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.