Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
yes, as far as i know.

I had gotten another set of tpms's for the summer wheels. hit the button, and nada.
It resets the tpms's in that it sets the current pressure to "normal". If you get new tpms's you have to go to Toyota to have the serial number of each registered to your vehicle. Otherwise if you push the button with other cars nearby how would it know which sensors are on your car versus a car next to you?

I read somewhere that it costs around $50 to have them registered. That's why I don't have sensors in my summer wheels only the stock steelies. $100 per year is just too much. I do know that I saw a gizmo on the web about a year ago that would register tpms's but it was around $300.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It resets the tpms's in that it sets the current pressure to "normal". If you get new tpms's you have to go to Toyota to have the serial number of each registered to your vehicle. Otherwise if you push the button with other cars nearby how would it know which sensors are on your car versus a car next to you?

I read somewhere that it costs around $50 to have them registered. That's why I don't have sensors in my summer wheels only the stock steelies. $100 per year is just too much. I do know that I saw a gizmo on the web about a year ago that would register tpms's but it was around $300.
I read that you have to go to Toyota thing in a few spots so when I put new wheels on I left off the tpms. (that and one broke :( ).

But when shopping for winter tires my local tire store said they can reprogram the tpms if you have a set for summer and a set for winter, FREE. So Idk.

·
Registered
661 Posts

I did have the repeogramed, by my brother, works at tire shop. (Troll)

I would think just about any tire shop could do. Not sure what they will charge. Took a whole 5 mins to do.

·
Registered
979 Posts
But when shopping for winter tires my local tire store said they can reprogram the tpms if you have a set for summer and a set for winter, FREE. So Idk.
Nice! I will need new tires next spring so I'll have to check into that. It seems like it wouldn't be a big deal to do.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
It is much easier to just remove the TPMS and install them into a PVC Cylinder that is sealed and then pressurized. There is a DIY on here about how it is done.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Verified today, Discount Tire can resprogram the TPMS.

I bought a set of mounted/balanced Blizzak's for winter and they had the tpms on the wheels.

Pulled into the store, 10 minutes and a free coffee later, pulled out, no charge.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you ask the tire shop to remove the TPMS modules, a lot of them will not do it. It's part of the fed's reg's for EPA. If you find someone to do it, they will not advertise it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.