Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
I like the look with the spoiler better than without. It does not block the view out the rear but it does help to keep the rear window cleaner than without it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
IMHO these things look like a Dodge Caravan from the back w/o the spoiler. Looks aside, it makes a tremendous difference in the amount of dirt accumulated on the back window. Before I got my spoiler, I would have a layer of dust accumulated on the back window/bumper just driving home the few miles from the car wash. Very annoying! BTW- I got mine off Ebay for a hundred bucks and change, painted to match. Install was a piece of cake and I believe it is well outlined by another member elsewhere on this forum.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hmmm.... The spoiler doesn't really matter to me right now, but if it keeps the dirt and dust off my rear window and bumper better then I'm game! Blackberry Crush shows just the tiniest bit of dust... :p

·
Registered
214 Posts
if anybody out there is making variations of these spoilers (besides the 3 available: oem, ait, xgangster), then i shall get one.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
The spoiler does slightly increase drag, but not to much due to it's aerodynamically neutral design. So, it somewhat affects negatively mileage, but not too much.
Mostly, it is a matter of looks and if you like it or not.
Personally, it's neutral to me, more a matter of your intent in style and whether or not it fits.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i would like to revive this tread i am on the fence about getting a spoiler also and would others opinions about color i have a sw xb so i would to know what everyone thinks about a white,black,carbon fiber spoiler i have a white and black theme but not trying to go overboard and have 4 different color parts :rofl: thanks everyone ahead of time for all the feedback

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I wasn't sure about the spoiler, but since I have the DAMD body kit, hubby pointed out that it would balance the look.

As far as color, there is always vinyl...buy the white then change the color with vinyl. You can always change it again by changing the vinyl.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just an update, I got my CSM rear spoiler last week, and put it on myself about 2 hours from ground up. I got an OEM from Ebay, that's Scion OEM parts from a seller (toyotaaccessories4you) in FL. It's $235 + $26 shipping, template included, and 8% cash back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looking like a Caravan without it is so correct ! I've always said the exact same thing!!
It HAS to have one IMO, and in white..... well you judge:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I got mine from a local seller on craigslist for $60 in silver. My XB is stingray metallic. I installed it bec I couldn't wait to paint it. I like it better with than without.

·
Registered
294 Posts
TartanJack said:
The spoiler does slightly increase drag, but not to much due to it's aerodynamically neutral design. So, it somewhat affects negatively mileage, but not too much.
Personally, it's neutral to me, more a matter of your intent in style and whether or not it fits.
Unless 30-31 mpg is just horrible esp.how fast i usually drive then I guess its a bad thing. LOL !!

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Aljay said:
TartanJack said:
Unless 30-31 mpg is just horrible esp.how fast i usually drive then I guess its a bad thing. LOL !!
What I meant was it doesn't increase MPG (context of original discussion on here- across several threads). As it adds drag, it would hurt it. But, it doesn't really do enough for most to even tell. The driver's foot is FAR more influential. Honestly, the difference might be .5mpg, .25mpg or even .12mpg . . .
The point was it doesn't increase MPG, but also is designed to do as little "damage" as possible when adding something to the airflow.
Normally, wings add a large amount of drag- BUT are designed to keep the drive wheels planted at speed. Take Formula One for example, the car designers have to make a compromise between corner "stick" and straights speed when designing the "Wing package" for a car. This year (2010) McLaren has more straight-a-way speed, while Red Bull Racing had more "stick" in the corners (by a good bit). So, a pass is determined by whichever can utilize it's design compromise better on a particular track or part of it.
As the xB is FRONT wheel drive, a REAR wing doesn't really "do" anything in regards to adding traction to the drive wheels. So, it is primarily a cosmetic part. Therefore, they made it as neutral as possible in regards to drag. So, it should (in theory) affect MPG slightly but not enough to be noticeable unless one hyper-miles. If you do that, another vehicle might be the better choice (like a Gen 1 xB) for more gain.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Alright I got my spoiler yesterday, and have been wondering whether I should try the install myself, or if I should let someone who has a better idea of what they're doing do it? For those of you who have done it yourself, is it that hard? I have the two little guide strips, and the hardware, but no instructions came with it, so I got the TRD Sparks manual.

If I had a pro do it, I am just scared it won't be at the angle I want it to be (I am deathly afraid of it pointing slightly downward and looking like it will slide of the back window at any moment).

Any words of wisdom?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.