Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed the snorkle hose from my 09 xb and i figured the snorkle comes out right where the other end ends up so i just removed the hose and put the snorkle back into the air box . I already had the K&N drop in filter in it, I did not remove the plastic vent piece in the grille i saw no need for it cause it gets the same air as it did before just quicker without all that hose don,t know what the engineers were thinking their and by this way i don't have to worry about water locking. My box only has 8000 miles and when i looked at the engine i saw dust starting to form in there so i cleaned it what do you guys use to block the snorkle HOSE off with before spraying. Oh yeah by the way after i removed the hose my daughter took the car and said she noticed it "picked up faster" and you can tell the car is getting the air faster too. :D :D :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
easy removal 2 bolts And 2 pop out tabs then just snake it out then with a small flat screwdriver remove the hose from the snorkle by prying it's held on by glue then re install snorkle back into the air box and secure with the 1 bolt.

·
Registered
318 Posts
you might want to cover the opening with a wire mesh. after a few hundred miles i found pine needles in the air box below the filter

·
Registered
294 Posts
I did this awhile back with good results. I get over 31 mpg on the freeway at 70-75 mph. I did a few more things besides the drop in K&N ,the silencer is gone and the filter in the lit part is missing too. I cut the fender vent out and poped it back in. I did rip the flexable part of the snork off and put the very end in the part that is in the sir box it is aimed right at the fender vent.
Its funny the K&N is quieter than the stock paper element.
Who needs a 3-400 dollar cold air kit ?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Aljay said:
Who paid "3-400" for a CAI? Mine was less than $300 with the AEM bypass valve and the TRD inlet vent. Short of a dyno check (or a drag race) who knows kind of results any intake mod will yield?

Brewski

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aljay what did you mean you removed the silencer? whats that and where is it located. Yes i also removed the filter on the top of the air box.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Brewski said:
Aljay said:
Who paid "3-400" for a CAI? Mine was less than $300 with the AEM bypass valve and the TRD inlet vent. Short of a dyno check (or a drag race) who knows kind of results any intake mod will yield?

Brewski
Tell ya this I did race a guy with intake and full exhaust just with my mods we raced 1/8th mile he was hurt that he only beat me by a car length.All i have are the intake side mods ZERO exhaust stuff done .....YET

I have seen alot of cold air kits for 3-400 bucks K&N is stupid expensive.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Rog63 said:
Aljay what did you mean you removed the silencer? whats that and where is it located. Yes i also removed the filter on the top of the air box.
Silencer is the box looking part on the left side of the intake it comes off the intake ,looks like a box. I removed it and plugged the hole with a cap from the plumbing isle at lowes or home depot.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Does this Mod actually deliver the same performance upgrade as a TRD CAI?

·
Registered
318 Posts
gr8scape said:
Does this Mod actually deliver the same performance upgrade as a TRD CAI?
i dont think so. i just did it in the interim between bigger mods

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only difference is the trd the air goes directly in with the snorkel removed the air gets to the throttle alot faster but not as fast as the trd cai. But you can tell a difference with just the snorkel hose removed and it's free.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I do not like the noise of the trd cai.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Aljay said:
Hmmm, I would think that any (or most) CAIs would have noticeable noise on hard acceleration...not just the TRD. I know that when under less than "foot in the carb" there is no noticeable noise with my Fujita CAI...I doubt that any mod of the intake that does not make noise compared to the stock input would have much impact on performance.

Brewski

·
Registered
294 Posts
Brewski said:
Aljay said:
Hmmm, I would think that any (or most) CAIs would have noticeable noise on hard acceleration...not just the TRD. I know that when under less than "foot in the carb" there is no noticeable noise with my Fujita CAI...I doubt that any mod of the intake that does not make noise compared to the stock input would have much impact on performance.

Brewski
I noticed the intake noise was less with the drop in K&N verses the stock paper element.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Aljay said:
Rog63 said:
Silencer is the box looking part on the left side of the intake it comes off the intake ,looks like a box. I removed it and plugged the hole with a cap from the plumbing isle at lowes or home depot.
sorry for the repeat, but do you have a pic of this?

EDIT: i found it. does it make a big difference in sound?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a drop in K&N it is alittle louder but not much to my standards. When I had the stock paper element in the box it was louder. Remember I dont have the silencer either. I am picky so I refuse to have a real loud intake or exhaust.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Aljay said:
I have a drop in K&N it is alittle louder but not much to my standards. When I had the stock paper element in the box it was louder. Remember I dont have the silencer either. I am picky so I refuse to have a real loud intake or exhaust.
Hmmmm, you are "picky" about intake/exhaust noise....one would think that you are not too serious about straight line performance mods....and IMO I doubt that removing the "silencer" has much effect, in addition I would think that you need to change the exhaust (less back pressure/more noise) to obtain any gain from the intake mod.

For the record I did use the K&N filter prior to installing the CAI (no other mod to the intake or exhaust) and in no way can it improve performance as well as a CAI....been there done that!

As for any objectionable noise....I don't feel that my mods have resulted in any during normal acceleration or at speed....but, you know when I'm "getting on it off the line!"

Brewski

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes i have to agree to get the full effect of a CAI you should change the exhaust make it bigger open it up.
Now just by putting a drop in k&n you can make some gains but should also consider an exhaust up grade.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Brewski said:
Aljay said:
Hmmmm, you are "picky" about intake/exhaust noise....one would think that you are not too serious about straight line performance mods....and IMO I doubt that removing the "silencer" has much effect, in addition I would think that you need to change the exhaust (less back pressure/more noise) to obtain any gain from the intake mod.

For the record I did use the K&N filter prior to installing the CAI (no other mod to the intake or exhaust) and in no way can it improve performance as well as a CAI....been there done that!

As for any objectionable noise....I don't feel that my mods have resulted in any during normal acceleration or at speed....but, you know when I'm "getting on it off the line!"

Brewski
Are you serious its a fricken front drive car .Its not a damn hot rod by anymeans all I wanted to do was improve a few known issues and removing the silencer and various other B.S. has done just as I wanted a little improvement. If I wanted to haul asz or people to notice me I would get my Fox body stang out it has a decently modded 302 with big cam exhaust and a stout trans with big converter and a steep set of gears. Now I ask you what was your issue with my little mods. I could care less iff anyone will notice me when leaving a light. I mean really this is not the car I would buy if I wanted a new performance car. s

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.