Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now I am throughly impressed with my girl. Drove her in heavy snow today for the 1st time. Man did she handle great. It's been snowing all day and I had to stay at work., probably a foot of snow had fallen and the plows weren't keeping up with it. Anyway, to make a long story short, I had to go approx 60 miles on county roads and the NY Thruway to get home. No slips, no slides, I just maintained a slow steady speed and used common sense and she handled great. Now I have another reason to love my Xb..I had more problems with my old Blazer.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Drove mine in the snow today. Mine drove like crap. Then again I still have my 8inch wide rims with performance tires. I been lazy and haven't gotten my old tires on. Once I put those on it should be a much better ride.

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
Had to pick up someone at the airport tonight after a day of snow and was really wishing I had a 4WD vehicle. There was probably 8" on the ground when I left and the plows were working frantically to keep the roads clear with only partial success. Took the long way on relatively straight state highwys with gentler grades rather than the shorter twisty, up and down country back road route. There was a fair amount of coverage and deeper snow where plows had crossed the highway while doing secondary roads and private plow drivers just shoved snow from parking lots out into the street.

Turned out not to be a problem. The xB was great with just the stock tires. Slipped and skidded a little when I starting up from a dead stop through some deep furrows, but nothing alarming. Occasionally the traction control would kick in for a split second, but mostly just chugged along. The biggest test was a steep hill about a block from home. Traction control did just fine and i made it up the hill with little effort.

Bottom Line: Very impressed...don't need no stinkin' 4WD!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I havent driven it in snow but I did drive down to Galveston 2 weeks ago and it did great on the sand. Of course after the storm came thru a few months back the beaches are now huge since the dunes are gone. ( PS> It did snow here on the south side of Houston while I was working in Louisiana last week. That was our once every 5-15 year snow storm and it left 4 inches on the south side of town. Even the weather man was surprised. It was cool out today, 71 showing on the car readout.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if anyone needs a recommendation, I'm running General Tire "Altimax Arctic" and jsut for the hell of it I had them studded. They were great. as far as taking off from a stop and the deeper snow, I just turned off the traction control. no slip at all. Even this morning, the roads are still covered with packed snow, still no problem. Xb 1 winter 0. :rofl:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm also running Altimax Arctic on my steelies. Without studs though. They are a winter tire bargain, compared to Blizzaks, or Michelin Arctic Alpin. They are somewhat soft and squirrelly on dry pavement. But that's the tradeoff for a Q speed rated, dedicated snow tire.

Those running the OEM Eagle RS-A's in the snow, props to you. While they perform fair on the xB, I've had them as OEM tires on several previous cars, and I think they're a poor tire, with poor handling characteristics in rain and snow. The good news is the treadwear rating is usually around 220, so they don't generally last too long.

Be safe out there in the white stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maytag said:
I'm also running Altimax Arctic on my steelies. Without studs though. They are a winter tire bargain, compared to Blizzaks, or Michelin Arctic Alpin. They are somewhat soft and squirrelly on dry pavement. But that's the tradeoff for a Q speed rated, dedicated snow tire.

Those running the OEM Eagle RS-A's in the snow, props to you. While they perform fair on the xB, I've had them as OEM tires on several previous cars, and I think they're a poor tire, with poor handling characteristics in rain and snow. The good news is the treadwear rating is usually around 220, so they don't generally last too long.

Be safe out there in the white stuff.
Thanks for the tire info...

Do you guys change to a different tire in the summer?? Is there a good year round tire that works well with the OEM rims?

Good that the OEM won't last long, I can't never wait till they wear out to get new better ones, but can't see ditching them till they do wear out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I thought all GoodYear tires were round. Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
64 Posts
SciFi said:
Thanks for the tire info...

Do you guys change to a different tire in the summer?? Is there a good year round tire that works well with the OEM rims?

Good that the OEM won't last long, I can't never wait till they wear out to get new better ones, but can't see ditching them till they do wear out.
I do have dedicated summer wheels and tires. That's why I run the steelies with snows in the winter.

The Falken ZE-912 should be a good, inexpensive all-season tire. It replaced the ZE-512, which was a Consumer Reports best buy. I had the 512 on a car several years back and had no complaints.

The Continental Conti Extreme Contact is also a good choice for an all season tire. It's slightly more expensive than the Falken. Even though it's and Ultra High Performance all season tire, it handles very well in rain and snow. Not as good as a straight summer tire performance-wise, but still very good.

I've always bought my tires at tirerack.com.

Another source is edgeracing.com

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When winter hits, the steelies go on with snow tires. All weather tires are ok but I do not like taking chances. I'm still running the OEM for summer but that will probably change late spring. I'm researching what I'm going to put on now. I use discount tire direct and tire rack, I like to have some comparison pricing when I purchase. Any way. Be safe out there in this nasty white stuff. :p

·
Registered
186 Posts
Maytag said:
The Falken ZE-912 should be a good, inexpensive all-season tire. It replaced the ZE-512, which was a Consumer Reports best buy. I had the 512 on a car several years back and had no complaints.
Sweet! I have ZE-912s that were already on the car when I bought it. I was wondering how good of tires they were.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mine are on the stock rims. I bought some rim paint from NAPA, and painted the hubcaps bronze, looks pretty good if I say so myself. :yes: With all the salt up here it would tear up the mags.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.