Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the dealer has had my car since Tuesday and they were supposed to be installing the options and looking at a few issues that were found when I took delivery last week. I'm trying to figure out if I should complain or not or if I'm being to picky about my new car. I had them install the rear cargo cover (no issues) and the rear bumper applique which looks nothing like in the brochure. It's just a flat black thin plastic cover with SCION etched in the middle of it. It will serve it's purpous but from what I understand this version of the applique is only $45 and not the full price listed online which I paid. I'm fine with it though.

Now we come to the issues. When I bought the car there were serious scratches on the rear hatch and they did address these and it looks really good. Unfortunatly the five other areas where there were scratches(looks like a rake was scraped across the paint) they did not address and it looks like they tried to buff it out but they didn't buff out. The final scratch is in the left front fender and it's really deep. It basically goes thru the entire clear coat and they flat out told me that there is nothing they can do about it. They don't want to paint the fender because that would decrease the value. I'm sitting here thinking they should be installing a new fender if they can't address the scratch but I'm not sure if that's something I should ask for. The scratch is about an inch in length and quite deep.

Now I also had them looking at a rattle that I've already found in the car. It sounds like it's coming from the lower dash left of the steering wheel. They told me that they could hear it but the tech could not find the rattle and I had to wait until it gets worse before they can fix it. I can continue to monitor it but it is annoying.

The final thing was the emergency brake. I have about an inch of play in it when it's disengaged. I'm used to emergency brakes beeing nice and tight and this thing just flops around. You can hear it flop around when you go over a bump it's that loose. When it's being engaged once it gets past the inch it feels normal. The dealer has told me that this is normal for the car but I don't remember either of the ones I test drove doing it. Can anyone verify that the play is normal?

Thanks so much. This is my third new car (a subaru and a volvo) and neither of the other cars had any kind of paint issues so I don't know if I'm expecting to much. The dealer already sounds annoyed with me hehe. The craziest thing is that the dealer has put more miles on the car than I have lol. The car has 550 miles on it and I've only put 120 miles on it since last Thursday. They didn't even replace the gas they used today :( Not sure where all the miles came from. My odometer paperwork from the purchase process says it had 70 miles on it but the car was driven in from baltimore which is only about 75 miles and when I took delivery there was 320. I guess the paint place was far away cause I don't know where all these miles came from.

· Registered
477 Posts
When dealing with the dealer, take a deep breath and count to 1000. I would not have taken the car if it had scratches, I learned the hard way once before with that issue. You have the right to have all of the paint issues fixed! Period! The dealer might make a bigger mess with the paint than you started with, but if feels that they can't paint the front fender to color match or stand the test of time, they should direct you to a place that can and Scion will have to pay the bill.

My parking brake lever does not rattle! I have read on-line that some people are having the same problem, the dealer just needs to adjust the cable some. It sounds like you need to speak with Scion about this dealer and the way they are just trying to delay fixing your new car.

Don't settle for anything that you aren't 100 percent happy with, remember, you are the one that will have to live with this car.

Good luck!

· Registered
112 Posts
I have heard about people having good luck contacting Scion directly.

There is no play in m y Ebrake.

I too had the rattle underneath the steering wheel area but it did not bother me and it has actually gone away as the car has settled in.

You can also take it to another Scion dealership for warranty work!

Sorry you have had such a bad time that doesn't make Scion look to great.

· Registered
637 Posts
I had issues with my dealer also. They did take care of me, not to my satisfaction but they tried. I did send letters to them and also to Scion explaining all my issues and how I was feeling ab out my purchase experience.

My advice would be to not let up and make sure they take care of everything you want taken care of. If you relax they might take that opportunity to turn these things back around on you to get out of taking care of it. I am not trying to say car dealers aren't honest, but they are in business to make money. When they have to spend money to fix your car even though they damaged it it is hurting the bottom line. So they will try to get out of doing it.

So anyways, sorry for my tangent. My advice is to keep on them to take care of it and keep written notes of days, times and people you talk to about these things. You can never be to careful.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a lot for the advice.

I'm trying to contact the dealer now to get the car back in there. We'll see what they do. I did get into a chat with the scion people on the scion website and checked with them about the emergency brake and they said there should be no play at all in it. Also just happened to drive out of town this weekend and noticed that over 70 mph the car has a significant vibration. It's not felt in the steering wheel so it must be out of balance tires. We'll see how they do. The scion rep told me if I can't get anywhere with this dealership to maybe try another. Not sure if they would do anything about the paint as they have no idea I didn't do it. I showed all these issues during the walkaround of the car at this dealership.

· Registered
528 Posts
I'd say go to a different dealer. I know someone had a torn CV boot and the dealer stated that it was due in part to the car having coilovers. While having coilovers and the vehicle slammed, will wear out the CV's and boots faster, it won't do it in a year. So after going to the same dealership a couple times, the guy went to another dealer.

Turns out something was wrong with the CV joint itself. The other dealer replaced it free of charge. Just go to another dealer and explain what happened. They may help you out...

· Registered
101 Posts
Dirty-I agree that it may not be easy for a tech to figure out what is rattling ect in the few minutes they test drive it....BUT the paint issues are inexcusable.

I WOULD NOT have taken delivery of the vehicle in that condition....hopefully they do right by you.

· Registered
637 Posts
TunerChick said:
Dirty-I agree that it may not be easy for a tech to figure out what is rattling ect in the few minutes they test drive it....BUT the paint issues are inexcusable.

I WOULD NOT have taken delivery of the vehicle in that condition....hopefully they do right by you.
Have to agree with TunerChick, no offense dirty.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the support guys. Tomorrow I'm taking the car in and I'm supposed to be going on a test drive with a tech so I can show them what I've been seeing. I'm guessing they will tell me the same thing they told me about the paint last time that there is nothing more they can do. Unfrotunatly I had bought the car before I saw it. The way the dealership handled it was to have the car driven down from baltimore while we were doing the paperwork. I did not see the car until I took delivery later in the afternoon at which point I showed them all the paint issues and was told that there was no problem and they would take care of it. The wheels being slightly out of balance is not a huge issue but one I do expect them to rectify. I'm going to point out the noise in the left front again to the tech in the car. It's now gotten worse and is really getting annoying. I'm going to give them one more shot to rectify this. I'm not sure what other recourse I have if they don't fix it though.

· Registered
284 Posts
sorry about the hassel.

just be strong and firm, dont let them try to intimidate you.
you deserve 100% customer satisfaction for what you've purchased. Like they said, if they cant help.. take it to scion corporation and complain to them of how your been treated unfairly .. it ticks me off on how some dealers treat you like gold when you walk in but after the deal is made.. they treat you like **** (like been used and abused) lol .. sorry but I would not put up with that.

· Registered
186 Posts
cubanix said:
sorry about the hassel.

it ticks me off on how some dealers treat you like gold when you walk in but after the deal is made.. they treat you like #### (like been used and abused) lol .. sorry but I would not put up with that.
Me too!

When I went to buy mine, the dealership I went to didn't have the color I wanted in their lot. The salesman was like, "I'll get it for you. I have it in another lot." Then he gets me to sit down and pushes a credit application to me. I was like, "wtf you doing? You expect me to sign all the papers when I haven't even seen the car?" I called 411 while the salesman was sitting right in front of me. Called nearly 6 different Scion dealerships to find the dealership that had the color I want. The salesman is like, "I'll get it for you from there so just sit tight." They want to make the sale so they can make some money. But unless I see the car first nobody gets my signature.

When I purchased my first car, it had paint issues and other minor problems. Since then, no more signing any type of document unless I see it in person and make sure everything is ok.

If anybody wants to buy a Scion in Southern California, I'd recommend Scion of Riverside.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This was the first time I've ever bought a new car that was not on the lot and was able to see first hand. The way it was handled was really a whirl wind. They would not have brought the car to the dealership unless I put down at least 500 and by the time they found one somehow the paperwork was already done. It made it sound like it was going to be faster for me this way and I bought it.

The dealer has had my car since 8am this morning. I took it out with the tech this morning and he was able to experience the mechanical issues that I've been having. They are in the process of fixing the out of balance tires, he agreed my emergency break was way to loose this time and will be fixed, and the squeek we both noticed had gotten worse as well. Apparently it's the squeek that's taking a while to fix. The guys in the shop said there is nothing more they can do about the paint issues but my salesman has said that after the shop is done with it they will give it to him and he will get the paint issues taken care of. We'll see. They are hoping for it to be done mid day tomorrow but did say it may go thru the weekend.

· Registered
186 Posts
Keep us updated on this. Also, how about telling us which dealership so that no other members run into the same problem. I am in California so it won't affect me but there just may be another member that lives right across the street from you and considering the dealership that you went to.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's Leesburg Toyota in Virginia. I'm going to hold judgement until I get the car back tomorrow. At the end of the day while I didn't get to see the car before I took delivery neither did they. All of the issues I have had have been the fault of the dealership they got it from. I know that's not an excuse but it is something to take into account. While I have had to prod a bit more than I would have liked and they have not been to proactive the support guys over there have been very nice and they have provided me with a loaner car for the 4 days that they have had the car. At this point if I get the car back and the paint issues are resolved as well as the mechanical issues I'll be happy. From dealing with the tech today I have high hopes the mechanical issues have been dealt with. We'll see how the paint issues go.

· Registered
186 Posts
Well, I know everybody tries to inspect the car thoroughly before they drive away but from experience, I know you can get too excited about your ride and don't look at it close enough. When you notice the big scratch when you get home 30 minutes later, it's already too late. Dealer can say it wasn't there and you have no way to prove it.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everything I've asked them to fix was found on the walk around and was noted as items to be fixed. I have learned to thoroughly inspect the cars from my other two purchases. These are all items that I was told would be taken care of before I took delivery.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.