Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I had a few hours to kill today (which is a bit rare these days) I decided to dress up my engine bay abit.
For those who haven't seen my mx5, anything dull metal in the engine been polished, same treatment here
before:

after:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
- wash it clean
- sand it back with really fine wet sand paper (about 2000~3000ish grit)
- use a metal buffer wheel and some metal polish (I use "Purple Stuff")
- buff away
- use car wax to seal it up

buffing machine>elbow grease lol

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Chrome and polished look the same, but aren't. Chrome is a later of metal (usually and originally the metal chromium) that is on top of the original material (oft metal, but also plastic and other) finish. Polished is when the original metal is rubbed over and over, using finer and finer sanding/polishing agents to remove all bumps and surface texture to achieve a smooth, shiny finish.
The end result is very similar, but achieved in different, really opposite, ways. By "opposite," I mean:
In chroming metal is added to the original material
In polishing metal is removed from the original material

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too got bored one day and did this instead of fixing everything from when I ran off the road/clifffor those that I want to do it you just could use a metal brush some thing a little softer so doesn’t into any scratch marks and then I just got off the rest. Then if you have any sort of metal polish please you can use that I personally used blue magic metal polish and just follow instruction in disarray her particular you like a blue shine to it maybe look nice. It’s still same look as yours but with a blueish tint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts