Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in all the photos and seeing it up close that the body kit doesn't exactly match the body paint. Is this because the process for the painting the gold mica is complicated, or is it just because it doesn't match well? I am planning on getting the Rumion rear bumper and would hate if the paint shop can't get it to match.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Any "mica" or "candy" type paint will not only be hard to match, but much more expensive!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Might be "hard" to match but a "good" body/paint shop has to have the equipment and personnel to do metalic jobs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Should be no problem for any experienced shop to match any kind of paint even without a paint code. I have a 10 stage kandy black pearl ice gold paint job on my G35, and my shop, been in biz for over 10 yrs, matched it no problem. I guess it depends on experience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's all about the body kit! The better the kits quality (what it's made from) the better the paint match
Also remember, that the Car and the Body Kit are painted separate, then brought together later on, on the assembly line. This Can end in the kit being one color and the car another color. This is because the pant in one batch is always a very little different than the next and it's rare for them to split up batches for two booths (one for car and another for the Kit).
I'm a Set Painter in Hollywood, and I've painted some pretty trick rides for movies.
The problem is that the body of the xB and the dress up kit are different materials. The body kit needs much moor prep than the car dose, to get the same color, the body kit has to be prepped with 3-5 moor layers of primer than the car, lots of sanding between each coat of primer, then you have to finish the primer with a very fine grit sand paper,like 850, then one coat of colored paint on kit and car, then sand the body kit and the car body with the same grit sand paper, a very very fine grit, say 1000-2000 is good, then one or two coats of color on the Kit and car at the SAME TIME, with EXACTLY the same paint( to do this take all of your cans of paint and mix them in a bucket together, this will make a consistent color), then of coarse some clear coat.
About two days of work if everything is in perfect shape.
Any good home DIY'er can do this with some time and patience. It's KNOT the paint, but the PAINTER that counts! Yes you want the best paint you can get , but thats not as important as prep time.
Good luck, I hope thats good info.

·
Registered
204 Posts
its a stock body kit painted by the factory.. there should be absolutely no reason why toyota cant fingure out how to match the kit. plus the RS kit is urethane made by kenstyle of japan.. its very high quality.. there should be absolutely no reason why it cant be matched. i have a 3 stage kandy on my G, with 2 pearl base coats and 4 coats of clear.. and they still can match that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
ScionScene said:
its a stock body kit painted by the factory.. there should be absolutely no reason why toyota cant fingure out how to match the kit. plus the RS kit is urethane made by kenstyle of japan.. its very high quality.. there should be absolutely no reason why it cant be matched. i have a 3 stage kandy on my G, with 2 pearl base coats and 4 coats of clear.. and they still can match that.
Your quite Right. But it still comes down to method of paint application.
You have to understand that the Body Kit is NOT painted in the factory on the car. They are painted in one large batch all at the same time in the factory's paint shop, then set aside until a car is ready for it's Body Kit. And remember that they don't build all 2500 RS's at one time, they're made as orders for them come into the factory (the VIN's do jump up from one RS to another)
I also doubt that your 3 stage paint job was done at the Toyota Factory. Yes it's easy to match paint colors if you give a hoot, but this is a Scion and I don't think they care that much about a little difference in color tone.

·
Registered
204 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts