Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if anyone is considering using dynamat or another sound deadener in your xB or other vehicle, here is a good article doing some comparisons - pretty well written and it saved me some research in checking that stuff out:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

helps your stereo sound better and keeps outside noise quieter also...

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Great read... I didn't get all the way through, but saw in the Conclusions that they list RAAMaudio's RAAMmat as the best value - Rick McCallum, owner of RAAMaudio was a Scion tC owner and active on YourSciontC.com. I have nothing but positive things to say about Rick and even though I've never used the product, it's gotten a lot of praise as well :)

More info:
http://www.raamaudio.com

·
Registered
119 Posts
yanges said:
if anyone is considering using dynamat or another sound deadener in your xB or other vehicle, here is a good article doing some comparisons - pretty well written and it saved me some research in checking that stuff out:

Old comparison, lots of products have changed since then, but a great read nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
uberspeed said:
yanges said:

Old comparison, lots of products have changed since then, but a great read nonetheless.
has anyone done sound deadening on their xB? i was wondering how easy it was to re-install the moisture barrier? i did one of my cars years ago, and it was a mess due to the way the moisture barrier was glued on...

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've done a bit on my front doors thus far, the moisture barrier is glued on nice and messy with black goop that's a pain to take off wherever you happen to get it on.
Re-install? Never heard of it, everyone I know just leaves it off, especially since you usually have to rip it off in chunks to get it off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the post, really informative. i also decided to dynomat my car now xD. thanks, another mod i dont ahev time or money for that wille ventually get done. cant thank you enough!!! xD nah but really, great stuff, even a monkey can understand it, specially if i can.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I deadened all 5 doors the floor and back hatch area with Dynamat Xtreme. Made a difference for sure. I love closing the doors no as they make a solid clunk sound. I have enough left over to do the roof which still vibrates but the thought of pulling the headliner makes me nauseous. If I was going to do it again I would double up the layers on the front floor by the firewall. It took me an entire day with a friend to deaden the floor and another half day to do the doors. If your looking to save gas however note that its about 25 pounds a box and I used 2 and half boxes. Still get 26mpg : ) Cheers.

·
Registered
528 Posts
WhiteNoise said:
I deadened all 5 doors the floor and back hatch area with Dynamat Xtreme. Made a difference for sure. I love closing the doors no as they make a solid clunk sound. I have enough left over to do the roof which still vibrates but the thought of pulling the headliner makes me nauseous. If I was going to do it again I would double up the layers on the front floor by the firewall. It took me an entire day with a friend to deaden the floor and another half day to do the doors. If your looking to save gas however note that its about 25 pounds a box and I used 2 and half boxes. Still get 26mpg : ) Cheers.
Just out of curiousity, what size of the boxes did you get? I'm just checking to see how much I'll actually need to purchase. I used about 4ft^2 on my rear hatch and it's half way done. I think front door I used around 8ft^2. All single layer Damplifier Pro. I <3 that stuff.

I agree with you on the *clunk* when closing the doors. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used a product called Dead Skin made by Rockford Fosgate. Works very well. I did the roof first since that thing sounded like a tin can with any bass in there at all. I then did the hatch and all 4 doors. Here is a key thing to do on the doors as well. When I did the 8's in my doors I realized the panels on the doors actually buzzed. So I took and dead skinned the actual door panel as well. That made a big difference in the bass response as I wasn't loosing any bass by the buzzing sound.

When I did mine. I took alcohol and cleaned all the metal and plastic peices that I was using the dead skin on. Help stick and not come off. They make a roller that makes it a hell of alot easier to put on as well. Gets the mat down nice and solid. Here is a link to it, if anyone wants to check it out.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=5&series_id=43&family_id=90&item_id=108325&locale=en_US&p_status=

·
Registered
528 Posts
No Limitz Ind said:
Here is a key thing to do on the doors as well. When I did the 8's in my doors I realized the panels on the doors actually buzzed. So I took and dead skinned the actual door panel as well. That made a big difference in the bass response as I wasn't loosing any bass by the buzzing sound.
I've noticed I get buzz from my doors, as well. I've been thinking about just spraying it with something like SecondSkin Spectrum or the sludge. But it says specifically not to via their website. Maybe I should buy a little and do a little test. Giving the door panel some weight would most definitely help out with buzzing.

·
Registered
112 Posts
xseveredveganx said:
No Limitz Ind said:
Here is a key thing to do on the doors as well. When I did the 8's in my doors I realized the panels on the doors actually buzzed. So I took and dead skinned the actual door panel as well. That made a big difference in the bass response as I wasn't loosing any bass by the buzzing sound.
I've noticed I get buzz from my doors, as well. I've been thinking about just spraying it with something like SecondSkin Spectrum or the sludge. But it says specifically not to via their website. Maybe I should buy a little and do a little test. Giving the door panel some weight would most definitely help out with buzzing.
I ended up just cutting large strips and putting them on the door panels long flat surfaces and I also made sure to thoroughly cover the area where the speaker comes through. It deaden the panel really well without having to cover the entire thing. I do like the idea of a paint on deadener.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts