Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone replaced the speakers yet? i was looking for some decent speakers that are not too expensive...

should i get a full range triaxial or full range coaxial speakers? i see some nice Kenwood and Pioneer speakers at al-eds.com...

also, would it be easy to install dynamat at same time? someone posted that it is easy to get door panels off the xB?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't know... I'm still skeptical about taking apart my new baby... haha... I mean, I'd love to put some better speakers in... some Infinity or Alpine speakers preferrably, I also have a sub ready to install, I'm just buying time before I have to take her apart to wire for a sub or take the door panels off to put in new speakers...

·
Registered
21 Posts
the doors are super easy to pop off to replace the speakers. There is a screw in the pocket of the arm rest on the door and one behind the door opening lever (you have to pop the cover off that is behind the lever and then take the screw out. After that just grab the bottom of the door and give it a yank. I suggest firm even pressure. It snaps in pretty good so you may have to pull firmly. Make sure that you put all the snap posts that hold the door on back on the panel if they don't come with it. It makes putting the door back on easier and they don't get lost. I just put 6 1/2 infinity coaxial speakers in my back doors. kind of a pain but I am hoping worth it in the long run. I haven't gotten to tweak them yet as I am waiting to put my infinity seperates in the front doors tomorrow. Not the biggest fan of infinity but I got all six speakers for about $200 to my door. I may try to get some pics tomorrow if that would help. Oh yeah, you also have to pull the B-pillar trim to access the wires to the back doors. There are two snap pins at the bottom and three tabs along both sides going up. You may have to pull the door trim pieces front and back to get the b-pillars off. Nothing hard, all pull snaps for pretty much everything.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
draginknee said:
the doors are super easy to pop off to replace the speakers. There is a screw in the pocket of the arm rest on the door and one behind the door opening lever (you have to pop the cover off that is behind the lever and then take the screw out. After that just grab the bottom of the door and give it a yank. I suggest firm even pressure. It snaps in pretty good so you may have to pull firmly. Make sure that you put all the snap posts that hold the door on back on the panel if they don't come with it. It makes putting the door back on easier and they don't get lost. I just put 6 1/2 infinity coaxial speakers in my back doors. kind of a pain but I am hoping worth it in the long run. I haven't gotten to tweak them yet as I am waiting to put my infinity seperates in the front doors tomorrow. Not the biggest fan of infinity but I got all six speakers for about $200 to my door. I may try to get some pics tomorrow if that would help. Oh yeah, you also have to pull the B-pillar trim to access the wires to the back doors. There are two snap pins at the bottom and three tabs along both sides going up. You may have to pull the door trim pieces front and back to get the b-pillars off. Nothing hard, all pull snaps for pretty much everything.
thanks for the diy draginknee!

it sounds pretty easy - just gotta go find some speakers now!

·
Registered
26 Posts
if interested you can pick a set of mid and tweets or whatever you want and i can see if i can beat the price........i am willing to ship...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FRANKNUT12 said:
if interested you can pick a set of mid and tweets or whatever you want and i can see if i can beat the price........i am willing to ship...
do you guys have an online store? if not, what brands do you carry and i will shop around :D

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FRANKNUT12 said:
Yea the site is still under construction but its good enough for you to be able to get an idea of what we have........
:D
http://www.audiowarehouseonline.com/index.html
Thanks FRANKNUT12!

i figure when i do the speakers, i will put some dynamat or something in doors to help with sound...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4 Posts
so yeah
dont know much about sounds
but the back speakers are a flippin joke.
and im ready to swap um..
any ideas on great speakers im throwin an amp and sub in too..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's a picture of what the inside plug looked like after I drilled out the hole and ran my speaker wire through the inner and outer plastic clips that run to the back doors. I realize that I went a little exteme on the speaker wire size when compared to the Infinity crossover wire size but I figured this way I could always upgrade and never have to rerun those wires (kind of a pain).

I am also including a pic of the white retaining clips that snap your door in place for those who have not pulled their doors off. Make sure you take a look at your door and panel and put them all on the panel when re-installing it. If you have some stuck in the door just use a needle nose pliers and some wigglin' and they should pop out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I went with Polks db6501 and db651, not fancy but they'll get the job done on a budget. Crutchfield also has 6 months no interest financing ;)

Deadening, you can use eDead and come out ahead money wise, if you want the best then Second Skin Damplifier Pro ($).

Here's the start of my install:

eDead V4 comes next...

Hu is Pioneer AVIC-D3 which I'll get installed in the next few weeks. Sub is eD 13Kv.3 D4 and enclosure is their VSi that removes the spare. Amp is Eclipse XA5000
I would also recommend a Big 3 kit, I did 4 gauge, some folks go nutty and do 0 gauge.

·
Registered
119 Posts
draginknee said:
This is the screw behind the lever:

·
Registered
119 Posts
yanges said:
thanks for the pics uberspeed!

gives me an idea of what i will be facing when doing mine ;)
My pleasure! When I started my deadening this weekend I figured I'd take a pic. The door has that screw, the one inside the handle and then at the bottom of the panel there's a groove for your fingers to make it easy to pry.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
uberspeed said:
yanges said:
thanks for the pics uberspeed!

gives me an idea of what i will be facing when doing mine ;)
My pleasure! When I started my deadening this weekend I figured I'd take a pic. The door has that screw, the one inside the handle and then at the bottom of the panel there's a groove for your fingers to make it easy to pry.
so is that door in the pic completely covered with deadening material? or did you do more to it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts