Scion XB Forum banner

Spray painting the windows control panel and door latch cover and the center console

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Greg S 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to spray paint this

Can I do it? I know nothing about spray painting, but I know there's something call primer, and something call clear coat.

So I spray paint with primer, then the paint, then the clear coating?

How many layers of each do I need to spray paint in order to not get scratch off easily?

THANKS

See less See more
#3 ·
If it is your first time painting I wouldnt recommend going after such visible pieces.
but if you still want to try you could try plasti dipping them as many have done before. At least that way you can remove it if it doesnt turn out as well as you hoped.
I would also recommend watching some YouTube videos befote hand as well.
Preparation is everything, and sanding is your friend.
good luck!

#4 ·
What you didn't say is the color that you want to apply. Lighter colors require more coats to cover over the black. Also, the primer should be made for plastic. Make sure
you research before starting. Let us know how you make out.

#5 ·
prepping is the most important. making sure the surface that you want to apply paint on is clean and free of any oils that will cause paint to not stick or drip. sanding can be used but on plastic pieces you might leave to many sand marks that will be visible when paint is applied.

#9 ·
Also, it is to add "grit"/"grip" to a smooth surface, so paint will adhere. That is the case on most metals. On most plastics, oils from manufacturing is also an issue.

For textured plastics, soap, water, and alcohol are plenty. On polished metals or smooth plastics, something needs to be done to the surface to give something for the paint to latch on to.

#10 ·
The other reason to sand the plastics is if you want a smooth look to the paint. If you just strip the oils from the surface then you will still see the texture of the plastic once painted. It all depends on what end result you want. And as stated above make sure that your primer is designed to adhear to plastics, nothing worse than having your paint flake off over time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.