Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, the past few days when I start my car the car will turn over and stay on for about 2 seconds and then shuts off and the battery light will come on and I shut it off and it'll turn right back on and work. Also while I let it idle to start it drops to about 500 rpm and stalls. It does it when I turn wide too (I am lowered and I'm hitting the fender wall). I'm really confused and worried so any info would be wonderful.
Also I went from using 87 to 89 if that makes a difference
And I am an automatic transmission.
And it's in a garage all day but it has been about 100 in Cleveland Ohio.
Thanks again! Scott

·
Registered
978 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having problems. I assume you are over the 30k mile warranty. I would take it to one of the parts warehouses like autozone. They will hook up a scan tool to the obd port and tell you if it has thrown any codes and what they mean. They do it for free hoping, of course, that you'll buy parts from them.

FWIW I think the battery light is on just because the battery light is always on when the ignition is on but the car isn't running. The difference in octane wouldn't make any difference (there is a fairly recent thread about octane/top-tier fuels). If I had to guess I would be thinking it isn't getting enough gas to the engine. Maybe a filter or injector is clogged. If it happened shortly after a fill-up I would suspect a bad tank of gas. My neighbor had that happen. He filled up and within a mile of the station his truck started running like crap. I think he threw in some kind of an additive to get rid of water in your tank. The next fill-up it ran fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Definitely sounds like fuel is not getting to the engine. Try Fuel system cleaner first.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Now that I think of it, that's the same behavior my wife's Mini exhibited. Took it in for warranty service and they said the intake and injectors were dirty. They pulled the intake manifold and blasted it with walnut shells and cleaned the injectors. That's when we were told to only use top-tier fuels or put fuel-injector cleaner in a few times each year.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
My guess: crappy ethanol-rich and/or "cheap"/cut gas that has left crap in the fuel system, esp. injectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.