Scion XB Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Actually I'm going to put in LED front blinkers (no switchbacks for me since I have separate lights in my 2012). I have to figure out how to mount these resistors for them which prevent hyperblink. Any ideas? I see a decent spot on a metal arm near the headlights, but I need to attach them somehow. Drill holes? I'm also thinking ahead and want to leave a spot for HID ballasts later on. Where do people usually put those?

I saw a video for install at diodedynamics.com but they end up just stuffing the wires and resistor into the back of the headlight socket for the video - although they said to mount them to metal or hard plastic and keep away from rubber and wires since it gets as hot as a light bulb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKvzwq___P4

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Since my last post of my xB... I've added:
AVS Seamless Window Vents
Front Windows Tinted
Aftermarket Fog Lights
NIA eye lids
Pioneer X4600BT 7" Double Din
2x Savv 7" Screens in original headrest
Alpine Type R (all six speakers no subwoofer too old of that now haha)
Alpine Amp
Dynamat four doors

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Actually I'm going to put in LED front blinkers (no switchbacks for me since I have separate lights in my 2012). I have to figure out how to mount these resistors for them which prevent hyperblink. Any ideas? I see a decent spot on a metal arm near the headlights, but I need to attach them somehow. Drill holes? I'm also thinking ahead and want to leave a spot for HID ballasts later on. Where do people usually put those?

I saw a video for install at diodedynamics.com but they end up just stuffing the wires and resistor into the back of the headlight socket for the video - although they said to mount them to metal or hard plastic and keep away from rubber and wires since it gets as hot as a light bulb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKvzwq___P4
Don't install resistors just buy the LED Flasher Relay that will take care of the hyper blinking. It cost $45 but it better than having to splice into wires.

I tucked the HID ballast behind the headlight against the fender (velcro to a flat metal then zip tied it also)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Too late now. I ended up making my own rig of bolts, washers, and a flat piece of metal and mounted the resistors to the underside of the metal arms above the headlights. It looks pretty clean. It was a pain but I'm glad I went to the trouble because those things get hot!!

How do you use the LED flasher relay? You don't have to splice wires? I might go that way for my rear blinkers then. Have any idea what to buy?

Diode Dynamics' site says
Flasher Replacement: You may have heard of replacing a "flasher relay" instead of using resistors. Indeed, some vehicles have a replaceable flasher relay, and it is possible to replace it with one designed for LED use, to eliminate hyperblinking. However, this is only true for some vehicles. We do not believe one is available for your vehicle, because your flasher is built-in to the vehicle's computer. You will need to use resistors for your vehicle.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I bought a relay for my 09. I can't imagine it is any different.

I think mine came from ledmod.com - looking at that page though it says 08-10. Maybe 11+ already have digital relays.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm figuring more out about the blinker situation, resistors/relays, LEDMod switchbacks, and the difference between 2008-2010 and 2011-2014 etc. but I didn't want to hijack Cmudge's thread anymore so I'll move it over to here -
www.newscionxb.com/138-exterior-mod...relay-vs-resistor-ledmod-switchbacks-etc.html

Please continue your very rapid modification rate with pics Cmudge :) By the way, the eyelids look great, the tv screens are ridiculous, and I'd like to see a pic of the foglights at night. Did you get the visors for looks, for smoking? I'm thinking a new grille may be next, hehe.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Today Marks One Year 7/5 since I first bought my 08 xB (@ 50,690 miles) :)

It has come a long ways from the bone stock look it had... My list is almost complete :)

Only thing I have left on my list is my Raceland coilovers, XXR wheels, TRD front and rear sway bars, plastidip my badges...

Recent installs I did last month posted above with pictures.
I added two more installs mods just this week:
TRD CAI - I love it btw and its carb legal in California :)

Borla Dual Cat Back Exahust - Love it too nice deep sound :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Way excited I order my wheels, tires, front and rear sway bars for my baby today... hopefully everything comes by friday and I'll have them installed on Saturday :D

61 - 72 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.