Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wandering around on various Scion forums and noticed THIS thread on Scion Life.
In it, they are advising the use of "Dust Caps" from Napa to be used as center caps.
That is for an xB1.

So, has anyone tried it for an xB2?
I know several of us are looking for inexpensive ways to "dress up" and beautify the stock steelies. This idea looks to be a good idea, and cheap too.

I plan to "swing by" a NAPA tomorrow and see what I can find that fits the xB2 and get some. If successful, I'll post picts and parts numbers.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
566 Posts
Hmmm...v-e-r-y interesting. How big are they? I have a mental picture of 2-3 inches. Wonder what it would cost to have them chromed.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Now you've got me going. I need to go take some measurements of the stock wheel and see if any of these will fit. http://www.empirechromeshop.com/s-168-rear-hubcaps.aspx I'm thinking about red wheels with chrome center caps for the Silver Brick...even if I have to attach them with silicone.

I'm supposed to be painting the front porch.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geezer said:
Hmmm...v-e-r-y interesting. How big are they? I have a mental picture of 2-3 inches. Wonder what it would cost to have them chromed.
The listed measurement is hair over 2.7 inches. They are the only ones that would fit closely on the outside of center hole lip. More importantly, they clear the spine of the front axles.

I am thinking of painting mine either red or orange and adding a matching stripe to the steel wheel edge. However, I might have to wait for the lip color until I get new rubber (the weights are in the way as-is).
Oh, I'm gonna paint the weights black to make them less visible . . .

I might also just leave them in their natural colour, old-hot-rod like-> patina! I might would even leave the backs empty . . .

Probably, I'll just paint them and get 2 more for 4. Napa only had 2 in stock.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, reminder:
Stock steelies-

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the picts of the Napa caps stuck on (just placed, not glued into place):

Edit:

In the light, they look good enough that I'll just leave them alone for now.
After I get 2 more, I'll glue them on (using silicone glue, go the stick well but are easily removable for balancing in the future).

I need some acorn lug nuts to complete the look.

G

·
0 Posts
Hmmm veryyyy nice find. Those are way cheeper then buying spiders and as you said if we get the dust cap and buy new lug nuts it should look fine. Nice job! Let me know how they turn out when your done. Im waiting to hear back from scionpro about my woody design and if it will work.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
I got something planned for my steelies but I am not saying till I do it. Not quite as retro as you guys are going but this is more of a dress for the steelies during winter time.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I found off-the-shelf lug nuts to visually reflect the cap. I'll have it all together tomorrow and post picts.

I still need to get a full set of the dust caps and half the lug nuts (the store only had 10 of the 20 needed).

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wave Rider said:
awaiting pics!!!

what are you going to use Evil a sweater lol jk.
Sciono Wool . . .

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you think?

Overall:

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wave Rider said:
Wow I love that!

If I may ask, whats the total cost?
Caps: $2.50 (or so)/each-> 4 for $10
Lugs: $2 (or so)/each-> 20 for $40
Approx. total: $50 (plus tax)

Needed tools:
-RTV Silicone glue (for caps)
-21mm socket and wrench (to switch out lugs)

I replaced one lug at a time, in a star pattern for each wheel.

I drove up to NC yesterday and today. No problems and everything is still attached.

As for the look, I LOVE it! It is basic and "classical," so it fits modern style and also "hot rod" style too.
Plus, the end result looks stock, rather than "added on." The main "side" matter is that it makes the xB look even more like a miniature delivery truck than stock. That is not an issue for me, but some may have an issue with that on their cars.

Oh, it is now named "Scalded Cat" for how it goes on mountain twisties . . .

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Hey I used to live in NC. So are you gonna do a trim ring as well or just leave it alone?

I plan on running a hotrod style trim ring on my winter set up. Thats about all I am telling for now. Oh and I am going with acorn nus because your right, they look much better when the lugs are ment to be visable.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts