Scion XB Forum banner
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
It's been almost a year since I installed the center caps, and they just as good looking as the day I put them on. and the RTV has not let go yet. Someday, when I need to replace the tires,I'll have to remove the caps,but they will go back on with no problem.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Some great advice here! xbowner?, I know it's been awhile, but are your center caps still staying on with the gaffer tape solution?

I'm seriously considering the 16" steel wheels + center caps route. I think I made a serious mistake getting my 2011 with the 17" alloys. I've been told that the 16" steelies make for a smoother ride, which would be much better on my back. Plus, I'm really liking the look better than the alloys now that it's been a year and a half.

Oh, I'm pretty sure, but just to be certain, the stock steelies are black, right? Sort of a matte/satin finish?
I actually removed the caps because they did not have the same sheen as the trim rings. It took some tugging on three of them to get them off and one was loose. I would assume if I didn't remove them they'd still be on there.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I painted my set, red with an m . . . (see shots earlier in this thread). People LOVED them.
They were on till I changed to alloys. They are now with the steelies in my shed.

If something happens to my present alloys, I'm painting the steelies red and reinstalling.
I'll either redo the center caps or buy and mod a new set from scratch (no idea how at this time, the chrome would look nice).

·
Registered
844 Posts
Tartan,if you decide to get the caps chromed, try Nu-Chrome. The caps are triple plated
(just like motorcycle parts) and really last without any rusting--at all. Although not cheap,
($35 ea.),the plating really holds up. Nu-Chrome 161 Graham Road, Fall River,Ma. 02720
800-422-8012

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Of you sell yours, let me know.
If doing a new set, I'd likely paint silver, to match my B.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey guys! just registered but i thought id post a pic of my steelies with the napa cap (polished with 600-1500 grit) and stainless steel trim rings with stainless steel lugs and valve stem caps. painted the steel wheels a semi gloss black (sanded, primed, painted, clearcoated). of course i chose to do it in the heart of winter in chicago. got paint dust all over the car and had to clay it because i painted in the garage. couldnt paint anywhere else though :( oh and i clearcoated the center caps after i sanded them as best i could. hope you all like it! (2011 stock scion 23k miles)

Attachments

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
COOL!

I like em!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Nice job! Where did you get the stainless stl. lugs? I have just chromed lugs and they don't hold up at all. I have to re-polish them several times a season.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.