Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to change the look of the hubcaps on my 09 Super White. I originally thought about painting the hubcaps a satin black. However, I have seen some people who took off the hubcaps altogether and just had their steelies showing. I think it's also a great look. I guess a coupe of questions come to mind.
1. What kind of paint would I use if I wanted to paint the hubcaps? I bought some satin black Krylon Fusion that I used to paint the emblems so would that work as well for the hubcaps?
B. What kind of paint would I use if I wanted to paint the steelies instead? I want to keep it black to match the look of my car. Would any prepping be necessary? Do painted hubcaps hold up well in rainy weather? (I live in Oregon)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
27 Posts
The steelies are already black of course, but it's not a good paint and "grays out" quite quickly. I painted my steelies with a brush with a high quality, spirit based enamel. Prep involved good cleaning with mineral spirits, scuff sanding with 600 grit sand paper, another good cleaning with mineral spirits and then a tack rag. After 1st coat, scuff sand and tack before final coat. Most people prefer spraying, but I've had good results as described.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Whether you paint the hubcaps or take them off is up to you. I have seen some painted hubcaps on this site and others that look good, and some not so good (in my opinion). If I were to paint my hubcaps, I would do them similar to 09Igloo's: http://newscionxb.com/member_pics/09_sw_with_cheapo_mods-t2936.0.html

As for the steelies, I was on steelies for about a day, and just didn't like how my xB looked every time I walked past a window and saw it in the driveway. To me, they look better in pictures than in person (again, in my opinion). I know of a ton of people who absolutly love their steelies though! Here is what mine looked like with steelies:

Do what you want to, those are just my two cents. Keep us updated on what you decide to do!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Aww shucks. Thanks Parkers09xB! Glad someone other than me likes the wheel covers.

@galon98, I am a big fan of Plasti Dip, as you will notice if you read any of my threads. It's raining like crazy here in NorCal, and the covers have held up just as good as the day I sprayed them. Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I've thouroughly read your posts several times. I was debating getting some rims until I seen how you painted yours and how good they look. I looked online at several stores that sell Plast-Dip but have only seen colors that are glossy. Do you know if they sell any Plasti-Dip that is a satin finish? I haven't gone to any actual stores yet but I will do that today when I get of of work. Also, if I decide I want to go with the steel wheel look do you know if Plasti-Dip can be used on them as well? In a perfect world I would like to get some nice rims but being that I'm a Social Worker my salary can't meet all of my wants. Anywho, your hubcaps look really cool man. Keep it up

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
09Igloo said:
Aww shucks. Thanks Parkers09xB! Glad someone other than me likes the wheel covers.

@galon98, I am a big fan of Plasti Dip, as you will notice if you read any of my threads. It's raining like crazy here in NorCal, and the covers have held up just as good as the day I sprayed them. Good luck!
Sure thing 09Igloo! Uh oh :eek:hno: do other people not like them? I think it's cool.

·
Registered
124 Posts
here my 2 cents from the sw xb side

paint krylon fusion 5 bucks a can no sanding
as far as steel rims not sure it would look sick if u did a sick design

·
Registered
35 Posts
@ galon98:
Don't let the caps on the Plasti Dip cans fool you... they only come in a matte finish. Do yourself a favor and buy a can, then try it out on some random stuff. Before using it on the Igloo, I used the actual dip to coat my tool handles. My geek buddies like to spray their PC covers with it. It's definitely matte and it does not dry with a smooth finish. I'd describe the finished coat as "grippy" and "rubbery". It has a unique texture to it that you'll either love or hate.
My wheel covers got about 4 coats of black, then 2 coats of clear (yes, Plasti Dip comes in clear!)

When my wife still had her Jetta, I read on a couple VW forums about people using Plasti Dip on their actual rims. Although many scoffed at the idea, the people that actually did it had nothing but good things to say. One thing that they all stated as a drawback though, is that a lot of touch up was involved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.