Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... 2013 xB with stock brakes, purchased new in September.. manual trans so I put the e-brake on when I park it. If it sits for more than a few hours or overnight, the brakes are stuck on when I let off the e-brake and try to take off. It makes an ugly noise and jumps out when I give it gas. When I had it in for its first service, they told me it was normal. I've driven a lot of different vehicles, and have never had this happen. Anyone else have this issue? Or do I need to go raise ****? :mad:

·
Registered
164 Posts
That's not normal. Is it really cold up there? They could be freezing stuck if you have steel pads, try just leaving it in gear one night and not do the brake. If it isn't sticking on when your driving normally I would guess that is the most likely scenario since the ebrake is just a cable system and under normal braking your using a different system and its only temporary, like coming to a light or something.

I've only seen 2 things make brakes stick solid, extreme cold + a bit of moisture and VERY extreme heat.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Didn't think so... they treat me like a stupid girl in there and it makes me crazy. It's definitely not extremely cold here.. it has happened throughout the day while I'm at work in about 8°C weather. It just feels like it's not releasing. Guess I'll go crawling back to the service department for answers! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
37 Posts
On situations like this, its always easier to request a technician be with you so you can show them exactly what you're talking about. When my customers concerns cant be duplicated, I always ask the service advisor to ask the customer to drop in and show me. It makes life much easier and no misunderstandings are established. Ask for a tech if you can duplicate it consistently.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would love to show them, I just don't want to have to invite a mechanic over to spend the night haha it only happens after it has sat for a while so it's difficult to have them witness it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
catch it on video next time and show us / the dealer

there were a lot of things that bothered me about this car when I bought it new... like an LED light was out and they forgot to plug my hazards back in. Ugh.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's annoying!! I will try to get a video in the morning.. mostly will just be the sound I guess for them but I'll see what I can do :)

·
Registered
845 Posts
The only time I've ever had that happen was when I painted the center and edges of my brake rotors. A bit of overspray was on the braking surface and it got in the brake pad. Heats up while driving, then sticks the pad to the rotor while parked. I just applied the ebrake a few times while driving and it went away.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm I haven't had paint anywhere near it. They sound brutal the first few brake dabs after I start going as well. I almost wondered if there was sand or something in them from the roads. Might look into the big brake kit and say screw it altogether!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wonder if you just have sticky calipers. I can't imagine that being the case on a car as new as yours, but it may be worth a look to pop your wheels and brakes off and have a look.

Or big brake kit lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya I just rolled over 10000km so I'd like to think it should be having any issues. I'm a fan of the big brake idea. It's a great excuse to do it anyways :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even better... I've been looking at 18s or 19s so its a good reason to do both. Good to know though thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.