Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the Scikotics meeting tonight and the other owner of a 2nd Gen has removed his snorkel from his airbox. He loves the sound it makes.
As he also brought the snorkel itself, I examined it pretty closely.
It is basically 2 plastic tips, one that attaches to the airbox and the other that opens to the air, with a ribbed tube covered on a black plastic tape.
It doesn't seem to have any resonators or any fancy parts to make it extra functional. Also, the nozzle is only only a few inches over from the box opening itself.
Also, the opening isn't particularly closer to any water sources than with the tube in place.

Is there any reason, besides making the engine quieter under throttle, for the tube?
Anyone KNOW and not just guessing?

I am wondering if this is a good option for those that want to make their engine sound "meatier" . . .

Just a thought.

(I am planning to get the TRD intake after I get my suspension where I want it.)

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Its most likely for sound. Thats an educated guess based on my experiance. Even though there isn't much to it, because it bends the way it does it changes the airflow. Mine is actually still installed. The design of my intake is that it seals up against the hood and battery so it still incorperates the snorkel.

You know due to its location you could easily make a off-road snorkel like for a jeep, relatively easy. Although its really pointless on the xB unless your just going for that off-road safari look.

· Registered
294 Posts
Alot of the snorkle and the little box between the air filter box and throttle body is for noise abatement I have removed the little box in betwen on a few other cars/trucks and the intake was noticably noisier. Me I will remove the snorkle and the box between the air filter and do some testing for fuel mialage soon. I know just removing the snorkle made alittle difference .I want more efficiency, i have modded my driving habits some so every little bit helps. Please excuse my spelling ... LOL!

G

·
I got my box to take it camping and to the beach, if I mod my snorkle which I have no clue where it is would this help me at all so I dont suck up sand and water? Also anyone want to post a sound clip with it off I want to hear what it sounds like. And when its off what are the risks? I dont know anything about things under the hood lol.

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Its so high up in the engine bay and there are plenty of plastic sheilds under this car that I think you would be fine taking it off. Only way you would have an issue is if you decided to put an after market hood on with vents in the top.

· Registered
782 Posts
TartanJack said:
I went to the Scikotics meeting tonight and the other owner of a 2nd Gen has removed his snorkel from his airbox. He loves the sound it makes.
As he also brought the snorkel itself, I examined it pretty closely.
It is basically 2 plastic tips, one that attaches to the airbox and the other that opens to the air, with a ribbed tube covered on a black plastic tape.
It doesn't seem to have any resonators or any fancy parts to make it extra functional. Also, the nozzle is only only a few inches over from the box opening itself.
Also, the opening isn't particularly closer to any water sources than with the tube in place.

Is there any reason, besides making the engine quieter under throttle, for the tube?
Anyone KNOW and not just guessing?

I am wondering if this is a good option for those that want to make their engine sound "meatier" . . .

Just a thought.

(I am planning to get the TRD intake after I get my suspension where I want it.)
If you're getting the TRD intake, the whole question is immaterial. However, after my first mod (TRD sway bar) I removed both my snorkle and the upper airbox filter. I then installed a 3" pipe from the oem airbox into the low left fender and upgraded the air filter to TRD -- instant CAI :)! The difference in sound and performance is easily noticable, but no doubt an aftermarket CAI will bring both greater performance and more sound.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took it out and there was a DEFINITE change to a much loader and more "aggressive" sound on acceleration, while still being quite when "cruising."
If I was going for a more "tuner" direction, it would have remained that way!

However, it drew too much "attention" when driving (I tend to rev the engine when driving . . . ) for no notable "seat of the pants" difference.
So, I put it back on to make it more stealthy again.
I like the "chug-chug" sound of the stock set-up, like an old delivery truck, while driving more like a sports car . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.