Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade all of my speakers in the car. I've read various things about the size of the speakers but I'm most worried about the depth. crutchfield sells most speakers with the adapter to make install easy so I'm not so conserned about that as I am the depth. Does anyone know the front and rear stock speaker depth?

I was also wondering about something I had read about the front speaker setup. I've read that the lower front speakers are actually component speakers and that there is a crossover up near the tweeter. I've read that this can make installation a bit of a pain but I've not seen much information on this posted in these forums. I don't remember where I read this.

I'm looking to put some component speakers in the rear with a crossover.

thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry I didn't finish my thought on the front component speakers. What I had read was that it's not actually a component setup. That the bottom speaker is actually a full range speaker and the special crossover is only cutting the low out of the tweeter and not limiting the bottom speaker.

has anyone replaced both the bottom speaker and the tweeters in the car and gone with a standard component setup? That's what I'm looking at doing.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I think the wires first go to the tweeter (which contains the little crossover) then go to the 6.5 at the bottom of the door.

As far as sizes, you could mount as large as an 8" midbass in the front doors. I made some 3/4" MDF rings (more triangular shape due to the odd shape/size of the OEM units) and mounted 6.5's in there. If I recall correctly, with the 3/4" ring, I had about 7" of depth. I could be wrong... All I know is I have enough to do pretty much anything. I'm not 100% on the crossover with the tweeter, but I do think the wiring goes to the tweeter first. I didn't use the original wiring, I added an amplifier. I recommend an amplifier. You'll get better and cleaner sound out of your speakers.

As far as the rear, I'm unsure of the depth. I haven't got that far yet. :( I'd probably opt for some coax's for the rear, though. If you run components, you'll have to do a bit of extra work. Plus, it's not really all that necessary.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.