Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, so I've had my 2011 xB for 2 months now. Been happily modding away and enjoying reading here about what other folks have done.

I see a number of folks have changed their springs. I'm looking primarily for ride comfort, and secondly for improved handling and a subtle drop. From what I've been reading, DF210s are out (too much drop).

I'm not sure what the stock spring rates are, but the TRDs are 177front/219 rear and the NF210s are 145front/146rear (I think). The NF210s are supposed to be about 5% stiffer than stock. However I'm not sure if the stock/TRD/NF210s front and/or rear springs are linear or progressive rate springs. Judging from the pics, the NF210s are progressive(?) but the TRDs are only progressive in the rear(?)

SO here are my questions:

(1) Are the stock/TRD/NF210 springs linear or progressive? Front, rear, or both? Can you confirm the spring rates?

(2) It looks like most folks have changed their springs in conjuction with some other mod (like shocks and/or rear sway). Has anyone changed JUST the stock springs to either TRD or NF210 springs and kept the stock shocks? If so can you offer your opinion on how the ride and handling changed? Softer/harder/stiffer/bumpier/more compliant? Smoother handling/better cornering? Eventually I'll want to add a TRD rear sway bar.

(3) after changing your springs did you need/get an alignment? Just front, or both front and rear? (I suspect the answer is yes but I want to know the details).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and replies!

·
Registered
783 Posts
(2) It looks like most folks have changed their springs in conjuction with some other mod (like shocks and/or rear sway). Has anyone changed JUST the stock springs to either TRD or NF210 springs and kept the stock shocks? If so can you offer your opinion on how the ride and handling changed? Softer/harder/stiffer/bumpier/more compliant? Smoother handling/better cornering? Eventually I'll want to add a TRD rear sway bar.

(3) after changing your springs did you need/get an alignment? Just front, or both front and rear? (I suspect the answer is yes but I want to know the details).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and replies!
2) I didn't change my shocks, or add a rear sway, it's stiffer, but i'm on Hotchkis which are stiff to begin with. I like the ride. I do want to get a rear sway and a front strut though.

3) You do need to get a front alignment the rear doesn't need it. (according the the guy at the tire shop)

·
Registered
658 Posts
As said before, you need a front alignment. If you're strictly looking for handling I would say say your time and just get a set of Hotchkis front and rear sway bars. This will make your car's suspension feel tighter in turning situations. As a bonus the sway bars will be easier to install and do not require an alignment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been on TRD springs w/stock shocks for 28,000 miles now on my 2010. They were installed when they car had ~1,000 miles. I also have the TRD rear sway bar. The TRDs are a slightly stiffer ride compared to stock....not by much BUT with stock shocks, can deff get springy/bouncy at times. There's times when I'm going down the street at about 25mph and I can feel a slight pogo effect from the front suspension. The stock shocks simply don't have enough damping for the stiffer springs. I regret not getting the TRD shocks with em. I'm looking into Tokicos soon. All in all it's still comfortable even on the bumpy streets where I live(Los Angeles area) BTW I am on the 16" Scion alloys. Also I noticed that anything less than the recommended 35/32 F/R cold psi in the tires, makes the ride quality suffer.

The dealer performed the alignment when they installed the springs. Hasn't been checked since, my tires seem to be wearing ok.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I searched around and found a really good thread on this on ScionLife:
*Official Tanabe NF210 thread. Post'em up!* - Scionlife.com
It was started by Cionide way back at the beginning of 2008 and the thread is now over 20 pages long. It started as Cionide's experience with Tanabe NF210 springs and others have since added their experiences to the thread. I went thru the whole thread and it answered a lot of my questions:

(1) the stock springs are linear front and rear, but the Tanabe NF210s are linear front and progressive rear.
(2) a number of folks on the thread changed just their springs to Tanabe NF210s (no other mods such as shocks, wheels, tires, sway bars, etc done concurrently) and felt that both the ride and handling improved. Some felt that the ride was a bit more firm that stock, and some noted that firm feeling only on larger bumps. This is all in keeping with the behavior of a progressive (rear) spring.
(3) the front does need an alignment after the springs are installed but the rear does not

ScionLife also has a great DIY spring install with lots of pics:
08 xB Spring Install - Lots-O-Pics - Scionlife.com

Oh and after the springs are installed a lot of folks noted their headlights were aimed too high since the front-to-rear rake was decreased. Here's how to adjust your headlights, all it takes is an 8mm socket:
Adjusting Headlights - Scionlife.com

My apologies if this is old news to some. I'm new to my box, so this is all news to me. After reading the spring thread I've decided to get Tanabe NF210s (in the future). Thanks for letting me share what I found.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have an 08. Bought it use with 28k miles and put nf210s in right away. Ride quality felt a tiny bit stiffer but overall still an extremely close to stock/comfy ride compared to what's out there. Didn't do an alignment or upgrade shocks. I prob should have but the car rides great and tires are wearing fine. I felt more of a diff when I upgraded to the 18" tc wheels. I think the drop with wheels combo changes the ride a whole lot but being that the nf210s offer a great ride, the ride diff is very doable you wont regret it. Hope that helped Haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.