Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I come over from the Miata community, I am always concerned over offset and weight, esp. unsprung weight.
Why?
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=40082

Does anyone know the size (esp. offset) of the stock 16 and 17 inch rims and their weight?

Also, is there a wheel weight chart ANYWHERE in the Scion-world?
(Like: http://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html from http://www.miata.net/garage/garagetires.html )

Generic ones:
http://www.wheelweights.net/
http://www.wheelspecs.com/

Is unsprung weight much of an issue with xBs?

Are there any popular, well fitting, light, inexpensive wheels for "New xB" bricks?

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am wondering, as I am looking for 17 inch rims (45 ratio tires) for performance tires, to be used for agile street driving. Those are for driving on roads like Deal's Gap/The Dragon and twisty mountain roads.

I want to know the stock weights of the steel 16 inch, alloy 16s, and factory 17s. THEN, I can look for ones of that weight of lighter.

I also want the correct offset so that the handling isn't impeded by the wrong offsets screwing up the suspension.

Wheels that are too heavy show down acceleration and destroy good breaking. It also does other "bad things" to driving experience.

So, as I look at aftermarket wheels, I want to know the factory wheel weights as a benchmark for "lighter than" and the offset so I can match or get close.
Thereby, my new rims and wheels will preserve the stock handling characteristics, so that the tires, shocks, and other mods can improve it. Also, I will be able to improve, rather than hurt acceleration and braking performance, as well as "quick" movement and direction change of the wheels.

Also, many probably don't realize that steel wheels are surprisingly light, despite being made of hard steel rather than light aluminum. The steel can be stamped thin without losing strength, while aluminum often has to me cast thick to preserve wheel strength. That said, a well designed and made aluminum rim can and should be lighter than steel, while still being strong enough to have no worries with very hard driving.
If you LOOK, many of the "bling" wheels are significantly heavier than "stock" cheap steelies. They just look better, while doing marked damage to driving itself, esp. handling, acceleration, and braking.

Therefore, . . .

Does anyone know the weight and offset of the factory Scion 16 steelies, 16 alloys, and 17 alloys?

· Registered
2,209 Posts
I don't know all those answers no. I do know that the alloys I have sitting in my basement are lighter then the steelies they came with but they are 15's so you will have too much sidewall for what you want. The factory offset is -45. I have to say that it is way too conservative for this car. I highly suggest going with a deeper offset. I am running a -25 but thats probably more agressive then you want. It gives me great stability and handling, but takes a little(not much) from the quick steer. Just ask bob about the handling down the Rockies at 2am. Plus my xb stops amazingling quick. This is mostly due to the much better traction of the tires since I am a bit wider and more aggressive on the tread. However I am also running 18's so that is a bit more then you want. I would say go with a 16, probably more of a 17 for a lower tread profile. I would run a -35 offset. Have your rims at least 8" wide if not wider. 9" would be pushing it but 8.5" could be very nice. If you want super light wheels I believe, but might be wrong, Rota has some light wheels. I also know that Volk Racing wheels are light but very expensive. I wanted to go with the t37e's just like in the concept xb but they were too expensive for my tastes at $800 a wheel. If you have the money or the connections(aka lived closer to me) I would say test drive other wheel set ups to see what you like.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Eviljack.
That is helpful.

When I bought my car this afternoon, I looked at the factory 17s, but realized that it would be the same cost later than now, PLUS I wouldn't have the steelies.

I plan to get some better wheels eventually (this summer or fall), but what to know the market and vehicle characteristics for xB wheels (rims and tires) is like. As I have said before, I am coming from a "different world" of car enthusiasts where the unsprung weight and offset are very well known and taken very seriously.
As few even seem to know the stock offset or stock weight, I have realized I am in a "different world" that I need to get to know before throwing money at stuff blindly.

I will be getting 17s of less than 20 pounds (hopefully closer to 15) per rim. I'm not sure about offset, yet.

I like the Volks t37s rims, but WAY out of my price range.
I am hoping for something more in the $150-200/rim price range.

I have plenty of time to make this decision, but want to keep my eyes open and know what I am looking for.

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Offset and tire size:
(630x205mm). Bolt pattern: 5x114.3 (5x4.5). Offset: 32 to 42 mm. Tires up to 650x235mm. Rims up to 20x8.5".
http://www.rims-n-tires.com

· Registered
2,209 Posts
Funny that it says 32mm offset when I am running a 25 hehe. Of course I wouldn't run my rim set up for the type of road running your planning on doing. I think one of the reasone most people on here aren't concerned with unsprung weight is that the xB is not normally used for that kinda of driving. Plus with the weight of the xB your not going to feel as much of a difference with lighter wheels as you would in your miata. Not saying you won't tell, just not as much. Along with the wheels you will definatly want the rear sway and probably the front strut bar. Then eventually you would probably want the springs and shocks. Although the suspension is pretty sporty as is.

If I were able to take it down the road your talking about(yes I know the road). I would try it first as a stock ride. Then try it with one mod at a time. Then you can let us know exactly how each mod helped you out driving on the road.

· Premium Member
1,052 Posts

· Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll check out ScionLife next.

Right now, stock suspension and steelies.

Next suspension:
Sway bar

17 wheels, black with machined lip. Not sure WHICH, yet.

I'll probably do the wheels and sway bar at the same time. I think the stock tires aren't yet up to the stock suspension, so a sway bar isn't quite as useful as it will be with better tires and lighter rims.

I am looking for 17-19 pounds rims, with simple, clean design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.