Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have any experience from ordering straight from the factory?

I did this at our local dealership because they didn't have the right car I wanted.

I put $500 down and ordered a new 2010 xb but they said it won't be ready for 60-90 days?! I'm thinking it might not take quite so long? My reasoning behind this was to get a scion with a spoiler in bright white and to avoid the "$500 dealer transfer fee".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weird you say that. Just got a phone call from the dealership saying that they only have 2011's to order now.

Still wondering if anyone knows how long it generally takes to get the car from the factory.?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I don't know about straight from the factory, but when I ordered my RS 7.0 with manual, they had to find one in the area since the dealership I was using only had an auto. It took me almost six weeks to get it because the Toyota "port" wasn't releasing them for some stupid reason. When I had dealings with another Toyota dealership, they found my 4Runner in another state and got it for me.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm not sure about the later model xBs, but the earlier ones like mine, an '09 shipped to port fully manufactured in Japan, hence the "J" in the first letter of the VIN. It's only the accessories, if ordered with them, are installed locally. I haven't heard of xBs being "locally" manufactured so how could it be ordered straight from the factory? Factory in Japan perhaps?

·
Registered
782 Posts
So far, all xB2's are manufactured in Japan -- no exceptions. So, when the factory changes model years, the only way to get a previous model year is from a dealer who has one available. The factory will absolutely not build a 2010 if the 2011 has begun production. Same for U.S. car manufacturers.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I believe that it would be difficult to get a xB built from the factory. The dealer is using that story to buy time, but is just waiting to get one from the list of xb's that they can trade for or one that will come in to meed the spec's you want.

Today's modern assembly line is geared to produce cars in the most cost efficient/fastest way possible. Just building them one on one takes more time, which is money the last I heard.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, thanks for the clarification. It's so hard to shoot straight with these car dealers (even if it is pure pricing)

When I said, "factory" i meant Japan. So it is likely they are taking their sweet time hoping that a model with similar specs comes into their dealership (or nearby one) hoping i will just get that instead?

Also, since I wanted a spoiler, it looked like the cheapest way to get it would be to order from Japan like I did. The dealer was talking about getting a standard xb and then separately ordering the spoiler (aftermarket i think) and having it installed...but he was quoting me like $700 to get that done. I'm hoping that what I did was the best option in ordering from Japan.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I were you I'd try another dealer. your current one seems like they don't know anything. The price for the spoiler should be the same either way you order the car. Cause spoilers are dealer installed options, not factory ones. $423 +tax on scion's own site.

·
Registered
614 Posts
boxfan said:
If I were you I'd try another dealer. your current one seems like they don't know anything. The price for the spoiler should be the same either way you order the car. Cause spoilers are dealer installed options, not factory ones. $423 +tax on scion's own site.
The website does not include the dealers labor costs.

·
Registered
782 Posts
sthorpe said:
Also, since I wanted a spoiler, it looked like the cheapest way to get it would be to order from Japan like I did. The dealer was talking about getting a standard xb and then separately ordering the spoiler (aftermarket i think) and having it installed...but he was quoting me like $700 to get that done. I'm hoping that what I did was the best option in ordering from Japan.
There is no such thing as "factory spoiler" for Scion, or any other accessory including the radio. The only variables from the factory are the transmission (manual or auto) and the color. Everything else is done at the dealer and the dealer published price for the accessory ("Pure Pricing") includes the installation. So if you prefer the pricing at a different dealer, go there instead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.