Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone know what the lip under the back seat is for? It doesn't seem to have any particular purpose....except maybe to keep things from going under the seats... Just a strange design...unless there is someone who knows why it is there? :confused:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Unless there has been some design change from my 08 xB it would appear to be a "pedestal" to support the bench part of the seat while providing a minimal storage area.
It may also conceal or add to part of the chassis integrity.

Brewski
08 xB

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
If you mean the metal under the storage shelf . . .
That is where the gas tank is,
It is QUITE secure there from any wrecks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geezer said:
Are you talking about that shallow storage tray that's under the back seat?
Yeah the shallow storage tray under the back seat....although I don't know what we would store there...except the duster like someone said LOL

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I say better a storage shelf than more wasted empty space!

I will store a couple scarves, knit toque/snowcap, and spare gloves under there.
Maybe a blanket too. It's ALWAYS good to have an extra warm blanket around! Mine will be WOOL!

If you don't like the shelf, just "pop" out the lower seat area (it just pops straight up and out-> by 2 clips), and remove the shelf.
I eventually plan to make some bags to stick up under there . . .
And a set for under the front seats.
--That way, I'll have more hidden storage areas.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I keep a hat, and the wire for my xm radio when not using it. Putting a blanket under there is a great idea for the winter. Gonne have to do that now. Its good for stuff you want in your car but don't need all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Car cable for my GPS when I'm not using it, a magazine or 2. Kids sometimes put their water bottles under there. I have about 3-4 blankets at the moment, 1 on the floor and 2 or 3 in the way back. Just finished soccer season, and boy does it get cold out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
I keep a road atlas and the owner's manual back there. It's not good for anything that is either too thick or has much of a footprint. You might stuff some PB&J sandwiches in there, but I doubt that there's room for a pizza.

Seems to me that the xB has odd (and not particularly useful) storage options besides the under-the-back-seat tray. The glovebox is marginal, and although I'm glad I have the optional overhead console I keep thinking there must be a better solution. The center console storage is rather small and deep for the size of the opening (you have to take everything out to find anything), the iPod pocket would be better if it was just a generic rectangle without the added contours. You can't see what's in that dash pocket to the left of the steering wheel, the pockets in the corners of the cargo area aren't the right size and shape for anything I want to put in there (plus I wish they were covered) ditto for the storage under the rear cargo floor (but at least it's covered) and I keep wondering what I could put in those bins under the hood at the base of the windshield (besides tools when working on the xB).

Sorry for whining...I just get the feeling they got all done designing this really great vehicle, realized they had completely forgotten about storage and randomly stuck bins and pockets throughout the interior.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I keep an un bar ella ella ella hey hey hey :naughty: in my storage tray, along with gloves and otehr times thrown under when friends climb in the car. It tends to collect magazines and books as well, but they slide out. I need to get the rubber mats on eBay.

I actually use the storage tray in the cargo area all the time. I keep a couple of extra Toyota bags, extra car tools, tie down straps, and OEM pieces I took off the car and replaced, like the shifter knob. If I take it out of the car, they'll be forever lost in my apartment until we move.

The C-pillar bins where either the mini-cargo nets or speakers go tick me off. The cargo net is TINY and expensive so it's kinda pointless getting it and you have to drill to put it in or you have to get speakers. Otherwise you just have this gaping area where its obvious something's suppose to go. Eventually I'm just going to do the 99 cent netting method to cover it up and add a little extra storage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have an umbrella and a couple cd wallets there.
Since the stock head unit reads MP3 cds, I rarely have to get into my cd wallet so I put it in the back.
I should just put it in the storage though...

Blanket is a good idea. I'm going to get one for myself. I wonder if there's a Scion blanket.

·
Registered
94 Posts
wangster said:
I have an umbrella and a couple cd wallets there.
Since the stock head unit reads MP3 cds, I rarely have to get into my cd wallet so I put it in the back.
I should just put it in the storage though...

Blanket is a good idea. I'm going to get one for myself. I wonder if there's a Scion blanket.
I've seen a Scion blanket for $20 on eBay, but it looks like a cheap fleece blanket with a Scion patch ironed on it. The same seller has Mercedes blankets that look exactly the same except for the patches. I ordered two Scion patches, and am either going to make a DIY Scion blanket, headrest covers or center console covers. Superdupa easy, especially since I got a new sewing machine for Xmas early! :D

·
Registered
474 Posts
Blanket? Logo? Does it make the xB go faster, corner better, etc. Not for me!

Brewski

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.