Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
The Tanabe doesn't touch anything -- fit is very good, however, the bar passes above the front of the brake fluid reservoir cap. Most people install it with the label side up, but if you want proper access to the cap, rotate it 90 degrees.

As far as pretensioning -- install the bar with the tower nuts untightened, raise the nose of the car so the tires are suspended, then tighten and torque the tower nuts, and finally tension the bar.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think they ebay ad said removal was necessary for "installation". I dunno, I'll find out when it gets here.
I studied the mounting bracket photos of the eBay brace earlier and you can see the bar attaches lower than with the Tanabe. Between having to remove the engine cover and it not being apparent to me it could be tensioned, I gave up on it. The TRD can't be tensioned either.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Just remember that the bar attachments have to be rigidly mounted to the towers. Any flex under cornering stresses and it's a waste of time (that is, assuming the bar itself is tensioned and its end fittings are side-to-side rigid -- if not, it's already a waste of time).

This photo shows Tanabe's solution -- perhaps it'll help.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
The TRD one is welded as one solid piece. So, no hinges, tensioning, or adjustment. It just fits and works.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.