Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a sub in my xB to get just a little more bass in the music. I am not looking for anything for showing off, or rattling the car. I already have a couple amplifiers from cars past, so I was hoping I could just get an inexpensive speaker/box, but I am not sure what to look for on speaker ratings. (Ohms, RMS, Peak, etc)

The amp I would like to use is a Boss GT380. It is 600 Watts 1 channel, or 300 Watts 2 channel. I would prefer a single sub, because I plan to move it in and out if I need the cargo space.
The other amp that I could use if it would work out better is a 200 Watt single channel.

I don't understand the numbers, and am confused about what I should be looking for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
747 Posts
this amp is about 300 watts into one channel continuously. This is most likely the case as this amp is not a digital amp. according the the site the amps peak is 600 watts which is good for about 1/10th of a second. This is why amps like JL Audio, Rockford and Alpine are so expensive. a good rule of thumb if your a novice is to consider amps with a value of $ .65 cents to $ .75 cents per watt. More expensive amps are usually $ .80 cents to $1.25 per watt.

In a system with say 1 10" and 300 watts, in order to double the bass (SPL) you need to either double the power or double the speaker number.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this amp is about 300 watts into one channel continuously. This is most likely the case as this amp is not a digital amp. according the the site the amps peak is 600 watts which is good for about 1/10th of a second. This is why amps like JL Audio, Rockford and Alpine are so expensive. a good rule of thumb if your a novice is to consider amps with a value of $ .65 cents to $ .75 cents per watt. More expensive amps are usually $ .80 cents to $1.25 per watt.

In a system with say 1 10" and 300 watts, in order to double the bass (SPL) you need to either double the power or double the speaker number.
Thanks for the info Calvin!

I guess what I need to know now is what wattage/ohm I should be looking for in a sub, because I have an amp already. I might just put my old truck box in there to tide me over and then get a fitted bazooka. That way I wouldn't have to take it out for cargo space.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I love my subs. I got 2 12'inches in my XB. Uppidity white people look so disturbed by me when I'm on the road :) Love it.

·
Premium Member
2011 Scion xB Release Series 8.0 SoundWave
747 Posts
a single voice coil 4 ohm woofer should be fine. make sure to get a sealed box with correct air space or a ported one made specifically for that woofer.

Thanks for the info Calvin!

I guess what I need to know now is what wattage/ohm I should be looking for in a sub, because I have an amp already. I might just put my old truck box in there to tide me over and then get a fitted bazooka. That way I wouldn't have to take it out for cargo space.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.