Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...perhaps something a tad more affordable than the $350+ that the dealer wants to charge for one?

We just got the car from a used car dealer, and the one master key that we got with the car was all he had gotten when he acquired the car himself. Astounded at the price the Toyota dealership expects us to pay for a programmed duplicate.

Does anyone have any good alternatives/workarounds to recommend??

Thank you.

· Registered
661 Posts
My guess is youll have to get it programmed at the dealer no matter where you get the key (s) from. So hit up ebay and filter for lowest price first. Should save you a few bux at least.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Your subject says "2007 Scion TC". Not sure about the TC, but our xBs do not have "Smart" keys. So for the xB, if you just need a key to unlock and start your car (no remote lock/unlock/panic), you can go down to Orchard Supply Hardware and have a duplicate key made from the master for less than $5. I've done that so I know it works.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do the xBs have transponder chips in the key? That's the kicker with our scenario, as each car (supposedly) has a unique transponder chip signal that enables the engine to start. So if we simply got a duplicate cut at the hardware store, it (according to what they say) would not start the car.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Do the xBs have transponder chips in the key?
our xBs do not have "Smart" keys.
My 2011, and all xB2s before that, do not have a transponder. I can't say for certain about 2012 or 2013 xBs, or other Scions. But I suspect not.

So if we simply got a duplicate cut at the hardware store, it (according to what they say) would not start the car.
For "smart" keys, they are right, but since we only have "dumb" keys, that advice does not apply to us. My Orchard Supply Hardware store has an automated key cutting machine that verified my original xB key was a "dumb" key. After I cut my duplicate key there on that machine, I used that duplicate key to start my xB and drive away.

· Registered
151 Posts
Please note, my 2013 Scion xB is key that contains a transponder....I think there is something in place for Canadian cars, that they must have chipped keys.

I had this exact problem with my Tiburon. The keys were chipped. I broke one of the chipped keys and I was using the spare. I didn't want to drive around knowing there was only one key to the car.

I went on ebay, and I bought a blank chipped key for $16. I then took the key to a hardware store. The hardware store was reluctant to cut the key saying if they don't get the cut right, the key is toast. I told them, it's ok....cut the key to the best you can.

Afterwards, I made sure the key worked in the ignition and worked in the lock. It started the car, but because it wasn't coded to my car, the engine did not stay on.

I took THAT key to the dealer and said, can you program this for me? They were looking to charge me $250 for the key....they ended up charging me 1/2 hour labour for reprogramming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.