Scion XB Forum banner

Suspension Question/Tips/HELP!!!

16K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Chris-Garage 
#1 ·
All,

Im new to this forum and was wanting some advice. I have 19" on my stock 2012 xB and was NEEDING to lower it. I'm not looking to SLAM it, but this wheel gap has to go. I'm ok with the TRD struts and springs, but don't have that much drop (1" in front and 1.5" rear). The whole point is to eliminate the wheel gap... I've found a set of Raceland Coilovers that are priced VERY good and are fully adjustable, so I can go right to the tires (well a inch above). But, I have read mixed reviews on the Raceland's though about all 4 shocks blowing out in 6 months. I'm 36 years old with kids and I don't drive like I did 15 years ago. I'm looking for something that rides good, nothing bouncy or obnoxious. Is there a better brand out there to get? I've seen some TEIN or Megan's that seem good but are $1000. Do I have to get Lowered springs with any of these. Looks like they come with coils already. I want a good ride and to completely eliminate the wheel gap in the rear, but don't want to roll the fenders for clearance. I was originally thinking about Springs ONLY (Tanabe DF210), but after installation they are $500+ and for a bit more, I can get better struts and can install them myself (well, my Toyota mechanic buddy in his garage at home) WITHOUT a spring compressor. Any tips are GREATLY appreciated and if you have pictures to post so I can get an idea of how they look on your 19" wheels, that would be awesome.....

The pictures below are from when I had the accessories installed at the dealership right after I bought it 8 months ago..

Jason :cheers:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
For what its worth , i have an 2010 and just installed TRD springs with stock shocks/struts. I also have 18" Scion TC wheels (2011) and it rides way better man. The front wheel gap is eliminated with a little gap left over in the rear. I know you want to eliminate the rear completely but the trd springs ride very well compared to stock setup. It feels more solid and just rides more flat if that makes sense. Turning is improved, braking feels more direct and the acceleration feels better because of less squat with the stock springs. Now im not saying you are faster with the springs but it feels more crisp if you may. Im totally satisfied with the setup. Now i just need to retint the car.

Any coilover setup you buy will come with springs also. You dont need to buy extra ones unless you want to change the characteristics of the setup. I would think DF210 springs are low enough for you but lack the exact adjustability of coilovers. Also , please let us know if you have had problems with rear toe alignment after the drop.

#3 ·
For what its worth , i have an 2010 and just installed TRD springs with stock shocks/struts. I also have 18" Scion TC wheels (2011) and it rides way better man. The front wheel gap is eliminated with a little gap left over in the rear.
Got any Pictures? I've seen 19" with the TRD and it looked good (much better than mine does). Can I install the spring/Struts myself, or do I have to pay the shop to do it? Obviously I need the alignment done after I lower it. It's looking like $900 installed for the TRD Springs/Struts!! Is that about what you paid? Im trying to spend as little as possible... :cheers:

#4 ·
you can install everything your self with the proper tools, with air tools even better. i ran df210 with 18' tc2 wheels it filled up the gap in the front and only rubbed when i hit a deep bump and in the rear it was a perfect just needed a spacer to push the wheels out.

tc2 wheels on DF210

#5 ·
i ran df210 with 18' tc2
So you went with the Springs ONLY? How does it ride? Do I really need the Struts?

That xB look bad with the tC Wheels. Mine are the same overall size as those are. My Wheels are the same exact size as the TRD 19" set is. I was told they were the same overall height as the stock 17", the 18 tC Wheels are. I LOVE your height, not to high, but low enough to eat up the wheel gap..

#9 ·
I'm also running DF210's on 18x8 +30mm 225/40/18 tires. No rubbing whatsoever. stock struts. it's good for my daily and cruising around with my wife and 3 kids :)

#10 ·
I'm also running DF210's on 18x8 +30mm 225/40/18 tires. No rubbing whatsoever. stock struts. it's good for my daily and cruising around with my wife and 3 kids :)
Thanks!! I love the way your xB sits and want mine the same..... The kiddos really love the B's don't they!!!8)8)8) I cant wait till I get my rack now. I had no idea they looked so bad *** with them..:eek::eek::eek: Thanks again everyone for all your advise!! I'll post some pictures once I get it lowered (and maybe racked).. :cheers:

#13 ·
i rented a spring compressor and torque wrench at autozone. The spring compressor was ok but the torque wrench was complete crap. It would help speed up the process if you had a impact gun for the spring compressor alot or else u will be wrenching away for a while. Also, i had a hard time with the top center nylon locknut . I dont know if i was able to tighten it all the way , i thought we were suppose to tighten it on the car so i only tightened it a little while i had it off the car.. big mistake. MAKE sure to tighten it off the car because u wont be able to get to it while its on the car. i attempted to tighten it on the car by undoing the top 3 nuts and the strut dropped down and i was able to fit a 19mm socket on there but u definitely need a vise grip or something to hold that top part while u tighten. Two people will definitely help alot with the install.

#16 ·
Thanks, Mine rub now on deep bumps at stock height. ;) Did you cut the bump stops for more travel? Were you sitting on the bump stops before? I don't want a bouncy ride at all. I had a mini truck years ago that was slammed and bouncy as all ****. Once I changed out the bump stops to smaller ones, It was much smoother under normal driving with an occasional bottom out (bump stop hit). Will I have to do this with these springs to have more travel?

#21 ·
hi i am currently sitting on 18x9.5 +38 225 40 18 all around lowered on raceland coil overs. racelands are not top notch but for 100 bucks more for adjustable height, i went ahead and bought them since i cant really afford the 800+ dollar ones right now. they broke into the suspension fairly fast and ride quality is great(imo). i love them. the front has no gap while the rear has merely a finger gap.

#22 ·
Those were the first things I was going to go with, but I kept reading people blowing out the struts within 6 months.. I love the price point on those and would rather make my own height adjustments.. How long have you had them on for? Do you ever rub, even upon a big dip or bump? I'm excited to hear they are smooth. HMMMM, I would rather go this route. I just don't want to replace them later because they keep breaking....

#25 ·
it all really depends on how you drive. i believe the blowouts occur when people corner fast and rough driving. racelands will obviously not handle rough driving since they arent really made for "race use" you can say. ive had mine for almost 3 months and no problems. i dont rub surprisingly, only sometimes on the front tires because my wheels poke out a bit further than the fenders, but not to the point where i need to roll the fenders. the only time i really rub is when i push my B through these malibu canyons haha. i mean i bought these for now while i save enough for some bc coil overs.

#27 ·
TRD springs are my favorite and conveniently the only suspension I've tried.

I really like the angle that it puts the car at, corners are pretty tight but i want sway bars
Got any front shots or level side shots? I was originally looking at the full TRD Package (struts, springs, and sway bars). Then I decided to go springs only and choose the Tanabe's for the 1.7 - 2.3 drop. The TRD's are 1.2 - 1.7 (I think)...... Your xB looks awesome, BTW!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.