Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of adding a rear sway bar while installing the tein s-tech's I just bought... Should I just stay with TRD?

And also, I heard that a front sway bar will add understeer while the rear will give oversteer.. Heard I should just get new bushings for the front instead... Any suggestions? If so, link some places with the bushings please.

Found these if the understeer and oversteering is false
http://www.autopartsdealer.com/eiba...edium=cse&utm_campaign=cp50&utm_content=rank1

Sorry for so many questions but is a strut bar worth it??? Not planning on adding more than headers, cai, exhaust. (soon to be springs, and sways)

Riding on 18x7 225/40/18

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
I would def recommend a rear sway bar, there is already a stock front one, so it won't really change much if you get one and it is a huge pain to change out a front sway bar. You need to drop pretty much everything in the front to get at it.

As for adding overundersteer, its all in how you drive. you're the one who over steers or under steers, not the car. The rear sway will just decrease body roll, allowing you to go into tight corners faster and more comfortably.

I found a hotchkis set, front and rear, for 200 bucks, cost me $400 for install because the front was such a pain in the ***. The hotchkis and the TRD are both basically the same, they'll do the same thing, so just go with which ever one you can find for less cash. Its DEF worth it.

I haven't read anyhting about the Eibach kit, but it most likely works the same. Just gotta make sure its stable. the first gen sway bar from TRD used to snap on people.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
The sways make a HUGE difference. I did both front and rear Hotchkis at the same time, so don't know if it was more front or rear that made the difference. The hotchkis is a bigger bar than the TRD rear and stock front, so it is stiffer. Of you notice a difference depends on where/how you drive.
As for the strut bar, I was skeptical it was anything more than show but won a TRD one (for best costume) at a Halloween Scion dealer car show. Once installed, it tightened up the front handling much more than I expected and does make a difference.

My "testing" is by driving on specific TIGHT twisty mountain roads on Western North Carolina. On those, at speeds where the traction control light and beeper tell you "be careful before you exit the paved road" and the challenge is to keep ONLY in your lane and go as fast as you can to carry speed through the corner. (A set-up xB can easily do 2.5 times the posted yellow signs-> not bad for what it is! I've "blown by" a huge number of cars that theoretically should be quicker in the corners, and the driver was trying too . . . )
So far, I'm running Hotchkis sways, TRD springs and strut bar, plus BF Goodrich G-Force Sport rubber on 17.5 pound 16x7 rims. That set-up handled remarkably well.

·
Premium Member
2,527 Posts
Ive had front and rear hotchkis on 1 B and then front stock and rear hotckis on another and the front didnt make a difference, IMO.

The strut brace does help a bit, and if you wanna be nuts and get the tanabe underbrace, it doesnt do anything haha.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
And also, I heard that a front sway bar will add understeer while the rear will give oversteer..
The xB2 hasn't been autocrossed or raced like other cars of similar stock performance (many owners just don't think of them as "racers" though they are actually surprisingly good ones). So, there isn't the body of knowledge like in those other models.

On understeer/oversteer . . .
Understeer means that the front doesn't want to turn when you turn the wheel-> it "pushes" through a corner/tight turn.
Oversteer means that the rear wants to come around too fast when you turn the steering wheel, making the rear seem "light" or "loose."

May driving baseline (what I compared my xB to when I bought it): corner balanced Miata optimized for mountain road driving (not for autocrossing, but for fast driving through corners on mountain twisties-> there is a difference). So, it is very balanced front/rear and even left/right. It is also Rear Wheel Drive (RWD). I like balanced.
My first impression of the xB:
Much better handling than I had expected, esp. considering the suspension set-up and "softening" of components for mass-market sells. Still, it understeered much more than I was used to, so I really felt it on mountain roads.

After the sways, it became much more balanced (less understeer) and I was pleased w/ it. The strut bar crispened up the front end even more (which I wasn't expecting, so wasn't psychological).

So, if you going for balance, a Hotchkis f/r set helps, while the strut actually does help.

Now, if you don't carve mountain roads at HIGH speed (taking "20" MPH curves at 50 or 55), any difference probably won't be noticeable, but there is some difference made.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jesus, looked for hotchkis and TRD and they are the definition of leg and arm to me lol
Hopefully the $150 eibach set won't break or what not... tried to look for just rears but cant seem to find any less than 200 lol

Thanks TartanJack and phobic (will post pics of final product)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Jesus, looked for hotchkis and TRD and they are the definition of leg and arm to me lol
Hopefully the $150 eibach set won't break or what not... tried to look for just rears but cant seem to find any less than 200 lol

Thanks TartanJack and phobic (will post pics of final product)
The TRD springs, TRD strut tower brace, and Hotchkis sways are well worth the $$$. My son's xB2 has been transformed into a much better handling car....we love how it performs on the twisties. :D

BamBam
BoxGT1
:biggrin::eek::)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I wish I could lower the back of my XB so it can be on the same level as the front end. Where I live though the bummer would get scratched a lot :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.