Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen it on a bunch of forums, but never a Scion one. I think it's mainly done on Jettas for some reason, but I've also seen it on Tahoe/Yukon, Benz, Ford, and Miata forums. If you don't know what it is, it's where people will drill holes from anywhere 9/16" to about 2" in the bottom half of their stock airbox. Most say it just sounds cool, others claim to see "improvements in performance"...

Have ya'll ever heard of this?

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Many, many moons ago, I did that to a 90 Miata airbox.  It sounded good, rather "beastlie" . . .
I also plugged the original hole and put heat shielding on the header-facing part of the box (literally, right next-to the header).
Later, I got one (an actual intake) from a friend named Dave Michaels, who now owns DDM Works.  Mine was a late-prototype/early production example and a great way to test-fit to make sure it fits the serpentine Racing Beat headers I have (the furthest extending ones on a NA Miata).

Didn't even think of doing it on the B.  I just got the TRD intake . . .
Don't see why it wouldn't work off the top-of-my-head.  There should be a big noise increase, but not sure about anything else pro or con.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I pulled the snorkle off mine and deleted the carbon filter on the lid dropped in a k&n and its louder.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Maybe if it becomes part of the inspection but I seriously dobt it. they did not even lift the hood on my car this year to inspect it.I could have had a full on turbo and all the other supporting mods they would have been none the wiser.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Parkers09xB said:
Alright cool, good to know :) How did you get that filter up in the lid outta there?
You have to break the plastic welds.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Parkers09xB said:
I've seen it on a bunch of forums, but never a Scion one. I think it's mainly done on Jettas for some reason, but I've also seen it on Tahoe/Yukon, Benz, Ford, and Miata forums. If you don't know what it is, it's where people will drill holes from anywhere 9/16" to about 2" in the bottom half of their stock airbox. Most say it just sounds cool, others claim to see "improvements in performance"...

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you really don't care (or just want noise), then I suppose anything will do. If you have some understanding of how your engine functions, you might try to do something that materially assists it, otherwise, I guess you can do whatever seems fun and the result is the result. Enjoy :)!

·
Registered
294 Posts
TrevorS said:
Parkers09xB said:

I guess it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you really don't care (or just want noise), then I suppose anything will do. If you have some understanding of how your engine functions, you might try to do something that materially assists it, otherwise, I guess you can do whatever seems fun and the result is the result. Enjoy :)!
Hell my car was louder with the stock paper element in it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I pulled the snorkle off mine and deleted the carbon filter on the lid dropped in a k&n and its louder.
Being that I have seen a couple of people talking about removing this thing, I had to go pop the hood on my 1 week old. This is what I have to say:

:eek: Really, Toyota?!?!? A freaking 2 foot piece of flex hose looped around the front wheel well hooked to the intake?? WTF? How is this efficient for pulling air?? I mean I get the carbon filter (EPA and all that) but what is the purpose of this contraption?

Ok, has anyone done a comparison to see if there are any MPG to be gained by removing this thing?

Also, on the thread hijack side since I can't create them yet...

I just found out that my windshield washer sprayers don't spray. I thought they may have just forgotten to fill the reservoir upon arrival. So I filled it. The rear one works. The front one does not. The motor is running (I hear it buzz when pull back on the stick) but no spray. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Being that I have seen a couple of people talking about removing this thing, I had to go pop the hood on my 1 week old. This is what I have to say:

:eek: Really, Toyota?!?!? A freaking 2 foot piece of flex hose looped around the front wheel well hooked to the intake?? WTF? How is this efficient for pulling air?? I mean I get the carbon filter (EPA and all that) but what is the purpose of this contraption?

Ok, has anyone done a comparison to see if there are any MPG to be gained by removing this thing?

Also, on the thread hijack side since I can't create them yet...

I just found out that my windshield washer sprayers don't spray. I thought they may have just forgotten to fill the reservoir upon arrival. So I filled it. The rear one works. The front one does not. The motor is running (I hear it buzz when pull back on the stick) but no spray. Anyone else have this issue?
The snorkel works great for both reducing intake noise and lifting MPG. If you want something different, that's up to you, but I don't see knocking them for trying to deliver a quiet economical vehicle -- that's what most people want. As far as the intake hydrocarbon filter is concerned, don't remove it with any expectation of greater performance, it won't happen.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The snorkel works great for both reducing intake noise and lifting MPG.
I've been reading threads on the XB2 air intake for many moons now. Opinions vary. I can see how and why the OEM curved air intake reduces noise. I'm having a harder time understanding and accepting how it also lifts MPG.

To me, a shorter intake path and a source of colder, more dense intake air would mean better MPG. I think that's why most CAI aftermarket systems use a (more or less) straight path to a filter tucked in the left front nose (hopefully along with a vent cut to admit cold air). True the fuel system puts in more fuel to balance the denser air, but then in theory more power is created from the denser fuel/air mixture and so the driver uses less throttle to maintain the same speed as before the mod.

A few days after I got my car, I modified my stock intake so that the intake hose is shorter (by almost a foot) and pulls air from the modified left front vent (I cut slots in the fake vent). Having done all that I did not see much difference, but then I didn't have much experience with the unmodified OEM intake. With less intake restriction and a source of cooler intake air I gotta believe the mod does some good. How much, I don't know. Obviously I can't compare "Before" and "After" since I have no way to revert back to stock, unless I buy a replacement OEM snorkel.

My car still has less than 4000 miles on it so maybe that's why I'm getting a combined MPG of only 23 or 24 MPG. Then again, I have an automatic and routinely drive the freeway at 70+. So maybe my driving habits explain my MPGs more than any intake mod.

If I could get an OEM intake hose for real cheap I'd be willing to revert the intake back to pure stock and compare. Is it worth it? Thoughts?

·
Registered
57 Posts
The snorkel works great for both reducing intake noise and lifting MPG. If you want something different, that's up to you, but I don't see knocking them for trying to deliver a quiet economical vehicle -- that's what most people want. As far as the intake hydrocarbon filter is concerned, don't remove it with any expectation of greater performance, it won't happen.
And these statements are backed by what science? I buy quieter...in fact I'm sure that's the point but everything else is laughable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The snorkel is about 2.5" around as to where the MAF section is 3.5" all the way to the throttle-body. By keeping the snorkel it is causing a HUGE amount of restriction.
I shaved my airbox internal fins, pulled the snorkel and carbon filter and am now getting more pull over the whole rpm band and when at cruse up to 34mpg (up from 28mpg max) highway and up to 24-28mpg in town, with 21-22 stop and go (I was getting 17-19 stop and go before the mod).
The carbon filter removal has been proven in other Toyota I-4's to give an instant 2mpg better. The carbon filter is only there for PZEV reasons... NOT anything to do with gas mileage or performance. It only hinders flow and absorbs hydrocarbons that try to escape from the combustion chamber's intake valves if left open after turning off the motor...

I have a thread about that on the scikotics forum: Shaved/smoothed airbox mod will give you aroundt 6-8MPG better in town!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.