Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, im going in for my first free oil change after 5500. Just got back from a road trip :D. Well i want to switch to synthetic oil dont really know which brand to go with on my jeep i had amsoil pricey tho. so i was wondering who all out there has switched and what are your thoughts and pros and cons,well thanks alot.

·
Registered
318 Posts
i hear lots of good things about royal purple. it's all they use on powerblock on spike :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you are going to have 5000 to 10,000 (I wouldn't push it that far) miles OCI, AMSOIL might be worth it. However, I have talked to many of my local mechanics, including one that works with the dealer, they said to be in the safe side, just go 3k OCI. Many people do not know that they drive in SEVERE driving conditions.

I am currently using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 with Purolator PureONE. Pennzoil Platinum is an awesome oil. It performs great and price just right. You can just a 5-quart jug in WalMart for $19! And, PureONE is one of the most efficient oil filter around.

If you are serious about motor oil and oil filter, try visiting www.bobistheoilguy.com .

·
Registered
240 Posts
Oh, by the way, my MPG went up about two (2) miles per gallon, and the engine runs smoother. I will be doing my second sythetic OC in about 800 miles. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I use mobile one and go 8500 miles then dump it. At 5000 the oil still is almost clear . I have a drop in K&N air filter and keep it serviced. I noticed a decent jump in MPG when I switched to full syn. Dealer supposedly used a partial synthetic oil in my car the first 2 changes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Aljay said:
I use mobile one and go 8500 miles then dump it. At 5000 the oil still is almost clear.
Don't base the oil's lubricating abilities by the COLOR on the dipstick. :) Many people do not know, but most of us drive under SEVERE driving conditions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
EPHIOS said:
Aljay said:
I use mobile one and go 8500 miles then dump it. At 5000 the oil still is almost clear.
Don't base the oil's lubricating abilities by the COLOR on the dipstick. :) Many people do not know, but most of us drive under SEVERE driving conditions.
UH just using that as bases, I have sent my oil off to caterpillar at 5000k and it still is good.

The way I drive its considered severe. Plus I have 30,000 on the car .As of right now it has 31,000 just rolled it tonight. I have alittle knowledge about oils as my PU truck is a ford diesel and it has hyd. actuated injectors. Oil is a big deal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.