Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I drive a 2011 Army Rock Metallic xB that I bought new after much shopping around. I love the cargo space, handling, spirit, and overall funkiness, though I hope to work on the firm ride as time goes by. (I shouldn't have gone with the alloys, but I kinda liked 'em, and I was sick of wheel covers. As it is, I'll probably wind up buying steelies anyhow.)

While I understand Toyota's decision to phase out a platform that was only supposed to be in place for three years in the first place, I'm sad that there's really not going to be anything like it out there on the market for awhile. The Kia Soul is kinda close, but even it lags in cargo space and refinement. The current model has less cargo capacity than my wife's 2010 Fit(!), and while I've heard the 2012 model is smoother, the motor in the Kia called out to my heart. Unfortunately, it said, "I'm a farm implement. Mow your lawn with me."

Someday, perhaps someone will pick up where the Haku concept took off, and we can get another nice weird box--and possibly even with no blind spot. ;)

Anyhow, I mean to enjoy my xB for years and years, and hope you do too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
the motor in the Kia called out to my heart. Unfortunately, it said, "I'm a farm implement. Mow your lawn with me."
LOL, that's funny!

welcome to the family. you're gonna like it here. i'm drivin' mine 'til the wheels falls off. and then i'll probably fix 'em.

·
Registered
842 Posts
And don't forget to try the meatloaf.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome, Brunsworks.

Yeah, it's true about the Kia Soul: close, but just not close enough. Honda Fit beats in cargo room, huh? I didn't realize that.

For what it's worth, one of the things that convinced me against the Soul was that, even after the 2012 update, Consumer Reports graded the Soul two points lower than the original 2008 test of the Scion xB--66 to 68; they're stingy with economy car scores.

Our xB always was in a class of one, but it wasn't as striking as the 2004 box, and the fuel economy was never competitive. Drop a 6-speed in, and the car would have sold better.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Great to see an Army Rock! Welcome!
(actually need a picture to see it, hint hint :) )

Kia Soul - I test drove one. The exterior actually looked better than I expected up close, but the interior was pretty bad and the drive wasn't so hot either.

I heard the blind spot mentioned several times and now that I got my box, I really haven't been bothered by it. I turn and look everytime and I'm comfortable I can see well. It obviously is a large C-pillar though.

@Jon yeah a 5 speed at least would have been nice. The sales rep at the dealer when I was shopping thought it was but I corrected him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts