Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I drive in the snow quite a bit in the winter. Replaced an all wheel drive 1998 RAV4 with the xB. The xB does awesome in the snow with Cooper H4 all season tires. I have had no problem as long as the snow isn't over 6 inches deep.

I have only had the xB for 6 months and now have 38,000 miles on it so might not have as much input as some who have had theirs longer. I am a little more experienced with how the RAV4 handles and holds up with over 700,000 miles in 8 years on two of them. But the xB seems to be doing well in snow and mud.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Slipping all over the place, VSC blinkng like crazy.

Why, because this is my 3rd winter with my xB. First year was great, last year was pretty decent, too.
Now I need new tires.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
It rarely snows in this part of Texas, but last week we got 13 inches in a very short period of time. My last vehicle, before xB, was a 4Runner with 4WD and 5-speed AND I was raised in the Smoky Mountains...the xB was great. I did get a little stuck, turned off the VSC, and drove right out of the mess in second gear. I parked it when I got it home and left it there for four days because the RS7.0 is lowered and I didn't want to be using the lip as a snow plow.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
When it snowed here last week (we got 11 - 12" at my house) I didn't get out in the xB... We took the Honda Pilot. However, when there was about 6" of snow I did get out some and the VCS thing got a little upset with me, but only once.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We had about 3 feet of snow here in the last 2 weeks. The xb has handled the snow better than I expected. It feels very stable and predictable in the white stuff. I've had bad experiences with Eagle RS-A tires in the past. And that is what is now on my XB. So as the tread wears I expect to have more issues. I will probably put some snows on it for next year. With those it would go anywhere the bumper height would allow it. I found out the VSC makes a buzz when it kicks in. It totally scared the crap outta me the first time I heard it. I was like "wtf is that noise?" It happened on a slow speed turn on ice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Living in upstate New York all my life I know how important it is to have a good car to drive in the snow. Buying a car that is boxy really concerned me. Everyone told me it would be worse than my pontiac g6 gtp coupe I traded in. Well they were wrong. Ive had the car for about 3 weeks now and It is excellent even with the good year tires that everyone seems to not like (maybe its because they havent worn yet). I am very pleased with how it handles in the snow. Keeping it clean... Thats another story. Super white + sand from the road = very dirty.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I drove mine in the middle of the Washington DC blizzard to get my dog to the vet. The car took it just fine. No issues at all. Around here with the extra ice I turn the traction control off and I have a manual. Maybe I'm to used to driving old manual cars in the snow without traction control but I find I can control the car better without it.

Overall though I found it handled it much better then I was expecting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.