Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our 2008 xB temperature gauge has been acting up. My wife noticed this Friday, and I saw it on Saturday during a short test drive. Basically, the temperature reading spikes and returns to normal.

My wife reported seeing this Friday, and topped off the coolant when she got home. In my test drive, Saturday, it went from a cold start to near pegged after a 2 mile drive at 30 MPH. I stopped the car, waited for about a minute, then started up, again. The temperature gauge when back to normal and I drove home without any issues.

At no time did the car act 'hot'. No temperature warning lights lit up.

Any idea what this is? The fact the gauge returned to normal after I turned the electrical system off suggests to me an electrical issue.

mark

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any idea what this is?

I've done some searching and come across two issues. First, there seems to be a 'Toyota' coolant (pink) and we added green. Second, there are some reports that it is hard to get air out of the system. Thus, if the coolant had gotten low, the spikes could be air in the system.

Just guessing.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Added fluid about a pint of coolant and started the car, letting it warm up to normal. At this point, I drove down the hill. When I started accelerating, temp almost pegged within 100 yards. I turned the car off for a minute, then started, again. Almost immediately after hitting the accelerator, the temp when up. I stopped, again. Waited a minute and started a third time. The car started and drove fine for the next 15 minutes.

When I got home, the coolant level was at the same level it was prior to me adding a about a pint of coolant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.