Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got back from lunch and noticed that both of my roof trim pieces are missing. :mad:

3 years ago I had one fly off the car while I was on the highway. The dealer replaced it under warranty. It took them 3 hours to do it, but outside of my wasted time, it was repaired with no out of pocket cost to me.

So now, both of them are missing. So I called the same dealer and was told that even though I have the "Platinum Extended Warranty" that they sold me, because they are "trim" pieces, they will not replace them under warranty. So they expect me to pay them $300+ for some strips of rubber. :mad:

Here is a thread where this has been discussed before...

http://www.newscionxb.com/134-cleaning-care-maint/6604-roof-trim-missing.html

However, the more I think about it, and as anal about my car as I know I am, I just can't believe that both of these strips would fly off the car without me noticing at least one of them being gone. I also highly doubt they flew off at the same time. The time I lost one before, I heard it bang on the roof as it flew away.

So the more I think about it, the more I wonder if some jerk stole them off my car. The mounts on them look weak and poorly designed, so I'm sure they'd pop right off with a pinch of some pliers. I also just moved to a crappy `hood and I've yet to clear out all of my stuff from my garage so that I can park my car inside. My brother use to live a couple blocks over and some a`hole stole all the "Cobra" emblems off his Mustang Cobra car several years ago. So I would not be very surprised if someone stole them off my car, while parked in my driveway overnight, given the crappy area.

So I was just curious if anyone knows if these trim pieces are theft items now or if I just have bad luck with Scion's shoddy roof trim piece mounts. Since Scion charges $100 a pop + labor to replace them if you are past your factory warranty period, I can see why they'd be on the radar of lowlifes who steal. :mad:

·
Registered
243 Posts
sound like a crime to me! sorry to hear about your issue.

my wife had hail damage repair on her xB where they had to paint the roof. the shop did a shoddy install of those strips and one of hers flew off. she poorly maintained her xB (i gave up helping after about year). they do have a tendency to become brittle from the sun over time and will come loose.

i use UV protectant on mine and haven't had an issue.

two missing at the same time is a clear indication of thievery. thanks for sharing; i will keep close eye in case it becomes an epidemic problem.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
phobic I was thinking about that, but my deductible is more than the replacement cost :(

I saw two xBs in the grocery store lot last night. 1 was missing both trim pieces and the other had theirs intact. I guess I have a new OCD xB habit; looking to see if other people are missing their trim pieces, lol.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I was able to stike a deal with Bell Road Scion today. They'll cover the parts if I cover the labor. 1 time deal they say, so I told them fine, but make sure they don't come off again. Like, super glue those things to the roof!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this is a double post but I thought I would post it on both threads.

I had one fly off the other day on the Highway and my dealer will not cover it in the Certified Bumper to Bumper Warranty.

I was actually wondering if anyone knows if there's a noise issue, water flow or if it's just cosmetic to have these trim pieces.

I actually like the black strip along the channels but this seems to be an issue that's repetitive and almost futile to replace. We had some and ice and rain then temps in the 20's and I kinda figured the water sat in the channel, froze, expanded then the clips probably buckled.

If I have to spend money on it I thought it might be better to have one of those shops that does the vinyl wrap stuff just lay down a black strip in the channel. Problem permanently solved and the black channel will look natural to the untrained eye. If they only serve a cosmetic purpose... I think I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Missing Trim Piece

So I realized yesterday that im missing one rubber trim piece from the roof of my car. Is this something new that theives are doing or do these actually really start to fall off the car? Does anyone know where to get a new or used one or do I need to take one from another Scion and keep the domino effect going ;)
:crying:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know this is an old topic, but this is a known fault with the design - these absolutely do just randomly fly off while driving, and I've even seen used ones some at dealerships missing these trim prices. I had to replace one side and I end up using a tube of windshield sealant underneath to prevent it from coming off again. One of these days I need to pull the other side off and glue it down as well.

I got my replacement on eBay; I believe it cost around $70. Note that the left and right sides are different as they are tapered just a bit differently at the ends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts