Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im back after a long disappearance.

Here whas going on...

I got a letter from scion saying my car is being recalled for oil problems.
I had oil burning problems for quite a while..

I called them back to see if i was eligible cause the letter said up to 150k miles.. i had 208k on my xb with no problems other than its goes 1500 miles on one oil change.. slow burning..etc.. they said they will rebuilt the engine at no cost but i have to wait till late summer for the parts from scion... I was a bit shocked cause the car has so many miles and i have a long drive everyday..
so heres my problem..

I really havent found another car i like yet... so i thought if the engine going to be rebuilt why not drive it longer.. but theres a few problems.

1:the windshield is cracked and its on its 3 cracked windshield in 3 yrs cost is about 500 to replace

2: the front headlight got water in it on passagers side and burned out the turn signal which is repairable but the socket part needs to replaced but toyota has no part for it at the dealer.. so the entire headlights have to replace... so i thought why not replace them with the spec 2 or spec d

heres a video on that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTNZJCzz0lY
how much to install these?
3: I NEED NEW FRONT BRAKES.. i think this may cost 1200 for all these repairs?

any feed back? this car has been great .. i havent found a car i like worth buying over it yet... i test drove 2014 civic si coupe.. thought it was just ok with all the tech..

· Registered
78 Posts
recall ??? sounds bad....... but the good thing it is that they will fix it your you.. ( very good news )

now, about for how long drive the xB..... ????
the answer really it is your decision

in my humble opinion, I will repair it and drive it forever, I like the xB too, it is not the best car ever, but for me it is, I like the shape, the drive, the space, ( you get the idea )

I know that we will never get back the money that we spend on the xB....... but in my case, I do not plan to sell my xB, worse case scenario..... on a wreck the insurance may said it is total :(

or, if plan to sell it....... at least will have a new engine

hope this make sense

· Registered
457 Posts
It's not an engine rebuild, they are just replacing the pistons and rings and honing the cylinders if they need it. Still it does fix the burning oil issue and that is a big deal. It only took the threat of a class action lawsuit for them to step up and deal with this issue. The socket for the turn signal can be bought at an auto parts store so you don't have to replace the headlight if you don't want to. The others are just things you deal with on an older car. I would say take care of them and keep driving it if you like the car.

· Registered
26 Posts
Well look at it this way, I am guessing you own the car outright and have no payments correct? So if this is the case what are you going to buy for $1200 that it would cost to fix this car? A $500 beater that will need everything replaced to just be drivable ?

And if you buy a beater I am guessing tags and title work will be around $200 or so and you will be starting all over with a car you know zero about and may be worse than what you have now. You know what has been done on the car you have now and where it has been so I would stick with it if you like it because I can guarantee you any car that is $1200 or less is going to have well over 100k miles and will need lots of maintenance work done to it to be reliable for daily long distance driving you appear to do.

My advice would be to do what the car needs and when they do the re-ring and new pistons throw another $500 at it for new water pump, serpentine belt, spark plugs and other minor stuff that is worn out while they have it all apart. Most likely you will be on the hook only for the parts as they will have all this off for the repairs anyway and if you are getting free labor take advantage of it. Just my 2 cents from the doing this for a living perspective for 20+ years and how I wold go if it were me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.