Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Fall I started a project to build a full size armrest for between the front seats of my 2008. I took a six month hiatus, and just recently started pecking again. The frame is tentatively complete and so I just installed it in the car for a trial period. With any luck, I'll be able to start with the finishing soon -- essentially another project in and of itself :)!

It's really bright outside and the armrest is washed out in the front seat photos, so I'm starting with a photo from an earlier stage of construction so you can see what I'm trying to do.

And now the front and rear seat photos as just installed.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess I'm not expecting it to look stock, but I am hopeful it'll be complementary. Plan is for the lid and box to taper down to the stock lid base and be upholstered in textured black vinyl. I'll treat the protruding supports and interior with the same black rubber spray I used on the shift console and jack panels. The door rests may get matching vinyl covered pads if needed -- not sure yet. It'll take me awhile to work through it, but that's normal for me :)!

·
Registered
2008 xB
566 Posts
Very professional looking. If I understand you correctly, it provides dual storage compartments...one section in your addition and that pivots to allow access to the original armrest storage. If so, when will you start taking orders? Any increase in accelleration with this mod? ;)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes indeed, the entire rest pivots up just as did the original lid, plus the top is actually a lid that you grasp between the two front support prongs to lift. Here are a couple more photos I just took.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the compliments guys :)!

Geezer said:
Very professional looking. If I understand you correctly, it provides dual storage compartments...one section in your addition and that pivots to allow access to the original armrest storage. If so, when will you start taking orders? Any increase in accelleration with this mod? ;)
Unfortunately, it does add a couple pounds to the total weight, so I'm afraid it may not appeal to speed freaks :(! It would have been nice if I could drop CD cases into the upper compartment, but the inner width is limited by the available space between the seats -- I didn't want it to rub when lifted. However, there is room for audio patch cords, receiver remote, maps, cassette tapes, gloves, etc -- though not necessarily all at the same time :). I tried to avoid wasting any vertical space, but the dome shape of the original lid frame and the need for the armrest frame to clear it inevitably wasted a little. Still, the original storage compartment continues to do fine for CD cases and/or whatever, so I think the combination works out pretty well.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TrevorS said:
Don't think there's any need for door pads.
Well, it's true there's no actual need, but after driving with the armrest, I can tell the small increase in height due to upholstering has made the door armrests just a tad low. Think I'll play with making a couple door pads.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TartanJack said:
\cassette tapes
What are those?

;)
:rofl:
Many years ago I bought a Sony Sportsman AM/FM Cassette player and I also made a few pretty decent quality metal-tape recordings (don't care for the sound of pre-recorded tape :(). They sound really nice in both my Eclipse cassette receiver (CD deck in the second dash slot) and the Sportsman into the xB2 AUX jack :).

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
Anyways . . .
Back to topic . . .

Looks good. How's it feel on the elbow?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TartanJack said:

There's only about 1/8" padding on the top, but it's dense foam and works very well -- plus the thin plexiglass top panel has a little give in the area of the elbow. The upper 2/3 of my forearm rests on the pad and I find it comfortable. I don't lever myself up with armrests (including the ones on the doors) and I really wouldn't recommend that practice -- the stock structure is reasonably sturdy for plastic, but applying major body weight doesn't strike me as a good idea.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TrevorS said:
TrevorS said:
Don't think there's any need for door pads.
Well, it's true there's no actual need, but after driving with the armrest, I can tell the small increase in height due to upholstering has made the door armrests just a tad low. Think I'll play with making a couple door pads.
Door armrest pads complete and installed -- took a couple tries to get the height right! Sorry the outdoors photos look so bad, the sun is just too bright. I'll try to improve on them later.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back from a drive and I'd say the arm rest height is now the same for both doors and center, and all are comfortable. Very much satisfied :)!

PS.
TrevorS said:
Sorry the outdoors photos look so bad, the sun is just too bright. I'll try to improve on them later.
Finally got some good photos -- see above :)!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TrevorS said:
TartanJack said:

There's only about 1/8" padding on the top, but it's dense foam and works very well -- plus the thin plexiglass top panel has a little give in the area of the elbow. The upper 2/3 of my forearm rests on the pad and I find it comfortable. I don't lever myself up with armrests (including the ones on the doors) and I really wouldn't recommend that practice -- the stock structure is reasonably sturdy for plastic, but applying major body weight doesn't strike me as a good idea.
Been experimenting a little and the stock structure takes my upper body weight (from either passenger or driver seats) without significant flexing (and still comfortable on my arm and elbow when applying it), but it's something I think one should be a little careful of. Would be a real drag if one managed to damage it unnecessarily :(.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oops!

Turns out I managed to overlook something kind of basic. The arm rest lid has to be prevented from opening too far and possibly doing damage. Fortunately, it didn't take too long to identify a reasonable solution. Here it is :)!

Also, it turns out the center arm rest being slightly higher than anticipated was a lucky break. Having arm rest pads on the doors hugely improves their feel and the slight additional height feels very natural. I heartily recommend them :)!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I usually ride an guide with my left arm on the top next to the window ,the stock fold down sux ! I like the deal you built .
I have been thinking about adding on to the fold down stocker tho. What really perplexes me is the absence of a friggen arm rest on the passenger side ........................ Wondering if its possible to add a drivers side one to the passenger side ?
I am thinking about leather sooo maybe while they (upolstery shop) have the seats tore down I will look into adding a boss to the seat frame bolt an arm rest too.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The stock armrest is both too tall and too narrow for me. 'Course, you may be a lot taller :)! My 1G Eclipse has matched height armrests and that's my preference.

What do you dislike about the stock armrest? I guess if you can solve the problem with that one, it could make sense to apply the same solution to the passenger side, as long as the height is OK for both occupants.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.