Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want one. but ive watched some videos of sound and some sound good and some sound like anal. some sound almost like a turbo and some make it sound like a hoopty. any help?

·
Registered
658 Posts
I can't imagine a t-body spacer really affecting the sound much at all. Your intake and exhaust/s-pipe, yes. In all the vehicles I've installed them on I've never noticed a difference but they were never my vehicle since I really think they're more of a gimmick than anything.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The standard aftermarket TBS definitely have a sound thanks to their rotating the air flow which causes a "whistle" at mid-to-higher air velocity's. 'Course, that can happen at pretty low vehicle speeds. I made my own smooth bore TBS and am pleased with it -- no extraneous noises and no air flow resistance.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I can't imagine a t-body spacer really affecting the sound much at all. Your intake and exhaust/s-pipe, yes. In all the vehicles I've installed them on I've never noticed a difference but they were never my vehicle since I really think they're more of a gimmick than anything.
I have to agree. Gimmick.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Unichips and TBS's are (in my opinion) one of those mods that add minimal gains but are marketed very well. It is at the very bottom of my list of mods.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I made my smooth bore as an experiment since I could see a couple ways that it might be beneficial. Judging from the palpable improvement in lower to mid torque, it's making a desirable street difference. Interestingly, it also resulted in the exhaust pitch dropping -- more throaty. However, I have not and don't expect to have the car dyno'd (that's just one of a collection of mods anyway -- including to the TB) so I'm not suggesting anyone else should install one. If you decide to, consider it an experiment, just as I did. Also, I definitely see no advantage whatsoever in adding air resistance and turbulence to the air flow with those twist designs -- IMO that's for a different intake system design from ours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.