Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have an 08 xB with 37k on it, all stock suspension (currently), never modified the drivetrain components, only thing ive done is swapped wheels. Ive progressively noticed a thud noise coming from the front left wheel area of the car everytime i go over bumps at lower speeds and has got worse as time went on. While getting my oil changed at the local toyota dealership last week, i mentioned the issue to the service advisor and he said they would listen for it when taking the car back to get the oil change. After the oil change was done, service advisor said they heard the noise and scheduled a time to check it out. took it in yesterday morning, he called me back after 2 hours of dropping it off, saying it was a lose tie rod end bolt. On my lunch break at work i went and picked up the car, not entirely believing them, but whatever they did, it isnt making the thud noise anymore! feels alot tighter too. AND, like the title says...they did it for free (i guess toyota changed the warranty policy so i was nervous it wouldnt be covered anymore....)

Anyone else experience this same issue? or heard of this? i know there have been multiple threads about thuds and noises from the front of the car, but never heard this issue before being reported. wondering if im the only one lol Just thought it was strange/weird for a bolt to become lose like that without modifying the drivetrain and only having 37k miles on the car.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah no doubt, like i said ive been searching around for this particular issue and have done the basic checks from previous threads (tighten the shock towers, check brakes, bushings on sway bar, etc) all checked out fine, i was stumped. luckily the toyota dealership near me was kind enough to locate the issue and fix it, FO FREE!

· Registered
21 Posts
I had a similar noise on my 2010 w/34k. Would usually make clunking noise on the left side over railroad tracks or rough roads at slow speeds, only at certain times. It never seemed to get worse, just never got around to taking it to the dealer to have it checked. Took it to the dealer and they ended up replacing the strut and strut mount on that side. I'm assuming it was caused by something they did during TRD spring install when it had only 600miles. I also had a noise from the steering when moving the steering wheel back and forth with car stopped. They ended up replacing the steering intermediate shaft(didn't help) and steering rack(the problem).

And now.....gotta find time to take it in to get the engine checked(making a tapping/slight knocking noise during warmup) before the powertrain warranty is up....... but that's another issue. :(

· Registered
782 Posts
Anyone else experience this same issue? or heard of this? i know there have been multiple threads about thuds and noises from the front of the car, but never heard this issue before being reported. wondering if im the only one lol Just thought it was strange/weird for a bolt to become lose like that without modifying the drivetrain and only having 37k miles on the car.
Never experienced a loose (but not worn) suspension component (multiple vehicles). Makes me think someone somewhere along the line didn't do their job properly -- IMO, entirely appropriate you didn't get charged.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never experienced a loose (but not worn) suspension component (multiple vehicles). Makes me think someone somewhere along the line didn't do their job properly -- IMO, entirely appropriate you didn't get charged.
ive never had the suspension or drivetrain apart, so have no clue as to why that wouldve RANDOMLY become loose like that...real weird.

@2010swxb: i had the same noises when i turned the steering wheel to the left and right parked as well. although havnt heard the noise since they worked on the car. lets hope it doesnt return.

i wonder if they would take care of the oil consumption issue as well, did anyone ever figure out if the xB's were apart of that issue? mine is consuming quite a bit of oil between oil changes. the sad thing is, i NEVER drive this thing hard...like at all. not sure why it does it, must just be the defect in these specific motors.

· Registered
782 Posts
I wonder if they would take care of the oil consumption issue as well, did anyone ever figure out if the xB's were apart of that issue? mine is consuming quite a bit of oil between oil changes. the sad thing is, i NEVER drive this thing hard...like at all. not sure why it does it, must just be the defect in these specific motors.
This is a quote from Scion:
a TSB has been released for the 2007-2009 tC and 2008-2009 xB with the 2AZ-FE engine. It was released August 11th and includes information pertaining to oil consumption and how to determine the consumption rate. If you want to start an oil consumption test, bring the vehicle in to a dealership and they can begin.

This does still fall under the applicable warranty (powertrain warranty) which is 60 months or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s in-service date.
And this is a quote from me:
FWIW -- I just found this info on the net for the Scion TSB.

1) it applies to vehicles with VIN #s below these:
xb: JTLKE50E#91077956
tc: JTKDE167#90286965

2) it's apparently word for word the same as the Toyota TSB. That would mean it's a 1200 mile consumption test.

The Scion TSB is #SB002411. You can request a copy from your dealer if you want to verify it's content.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice, thanks for the post trevor. ill have to look into that, i saw the TSB posts, but must have looked over the part where they talked about the xb's. thanks!

also, did toyota/scion change their warranty year/mileage? i went into the dealership and they said its 3yr/36k miles now...?

· Registered
782 Posts
nice, thanks for the post trevor. ill have to look into that, i saw the TSB posts, but must have looked over the part where they talked about the xb's. thanks!

also, did toyota/scion change their warranty year/mileage? i went into the dealership and they said its 3yr/36k miles now...?
Scion can't legally reduce the warranty coverage after purchase. If you have a warranty disagreement with the dealership, contact Scion.

PS. Don't expect a requested oil consumption test as described in the TSB to be free of charge. However, if the car fails, then I would expect that charge to be waived/refunded.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont know, all i know is when i went in the service advisor said that toyota officially changed it or something to the 3yr/36k for drivetrain but the powertrain is still the same...wasnt sure if that was legit or not. i cant see how thats fair/legal to do.

· Registered
243 Posts
in my experience some service advisors rely on "hearsay" and sometimes don't comprehend the difference between scion warranty and toyota warranty. i discovered this while paying the cost for scheduled maintenance. it differs for scions than toyotas (thankfully scions were less costly). from that point forward i took the time call scion corporate with specific questions about warranty, etc. the same info is available to all service advisors. will they take the time to research it????????????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.