Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tire pressure monitors (tpm) are programmed into the cars computer. What happens if you have two sets of tires and both sets of tires have TPM installed, would you have to have the computer reprogrammed to recognize the TPM each time you change winter to summer wheels? What would be the point of having sensors that are different from one xB to another. I would think that one xB wheel should be able to be installed on another xB and the computer will still be able to read the signal.

How many different TPM's could there be for the xB? Scion would want to keep costs down and just stock one part number and not many.

Am I reading this system wrong?

Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
My understanding is that you would only have to do a reprogram on vehicles that have a display for each individual tire's pressure and location. My GMC truck has such a system, I wish my xB did.

On a system like ours, as long as you have all of the same type of sensors you should not have to reprogram when switching tires for summer and winter.

·
Registered
741 Posts
This question is for the guys (or Gals) who have two sets of rims and tires. Do you also have a second set of sensors or do you do the sensors in the pressurized tube thing?

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
I don't have sensors in the aftermarket wheels. That way the TPMS light comes on and reminds me to be careful when parallel parking. I'm having a hard time getting my wife to grasp that concept.

I'm thinking about removing the sensors from the stock wheels when the tires need to be replaced and doing a TPMS plastic pipe bomb, but won't bother pulling the sensors before then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if there are 2 sets of pressure sensors, there are 2 options, 1 - put the ones that are on the car now in the new wheels and tires, 2 - install new wheels and tires with the second set of sensors but they would have to be programmed IF you didnt want to see the flashing tire light on the dash.

I have aftermarket wheels and my sensors fit in them so i didnt have to program them. I bought my wheels from tirerack.com and when you are looking at rims they tell you if the rims support the sensors.

hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
While we're on the TP monitor...first time it was cold here, it came on. When it warmed up a little, it went off, back on...put the compressor on the one tire that looked low and it went off again. Today, in the 30's, the dang light is on again. I realize these tires are small, but shouldn't the sensor be set for them since they are OEM?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Hubby checked all the tires when he put the compressor on the one that looked low, so that is not the problem. I think they just register as low when it's below 40º. If it continues, I will mention it when I take the car in for its next service.

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
Here's a comment from a Subaru site that pretty well sums it up...

Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS): Cold weather causes tire air pressure to drop. If the TPMS light is on in the morning but goes out after driving a few miles, the low pressure warning is probably due to the colder weather. Adjust your tire pressures for the seasonal change.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have recently bought new rims and tires for my ride. The TPMS in my car seem to not come on at all. I have tried two different rims sets on my xB, one for sure had no TPMS and the light NEVER CAM ON... I am not sure on the ones i settled with. I have had the new ones on for about a week and the light came on for a few days and soon as i got them to the right pressure the light finally went off. I think i got lucky and don't need to swap the stock ones into the new rims. Did anyone else experience this with or know why mine does this?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm confused, do the wheels you have on now have a sensor or not? I put my steelies on for the winter with no sensors and my warning light stays on. If you have wheels on the car with no sensors, your warning light should be on. If it isn't something is wrong with your monitoring system.

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
I've noticed that when the aftermarket wheels (without TPMS) are on the xB the light is rather erratic. Sometimes it's on, sometimes it's off, sometimes it's flashing. However, when the factory wheels are on (with TPMS), the light is off. I check tire pressure regularly, regardless.

·
Registered
741 Posts
This should be an interesting thread. The light is on, the light is off. With sensors, without sensors. Can't wait to see how this all works out. Me I like the sensors in the tube thingy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well I have read everyone posted, And decide that I will deal with the light during the summer and during the winter I won't have to deal with the light once I put the winter tire's back on... :O) Thanks all...

·
Registered
741 Posts
I do believe that is correct. I also believe they will charge you for the service. If you check your pressure on a regular basis you might look into doing the Tube Thing where you seal the four sensors in a pressurized tube and keep it with your spare. It "Tricks" the computer to thinking that the tire pressure is correct and you don't have to worry about what wheels you have because you won't need any sensors.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Here is the thread title for the Tube trick. Just put in the search box.

TPMS PVC trick works! UPDATED W/PICS

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the dealer transfered the sensors onto my summer wheels with balance and install charged about $100. Then they just unmount a small part of my winter tires and took the sensors out. When I got my winter wheels back and I saw the way they did it which is ignoring. So I took it to NTB have them remount and balance and I decided during winter, I just don't have the sensors since I check the tire pressures regularly anyway. And the dealer might charge another $100.

Then my question is, if you don't put the sensors on, does the light keep flashing the whole time or just stay on the whole time? If it keeps on flashing, that might be ignoring too.

Thanks!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.