Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many miles before you need new tires? I have 16K Miles on mine and my Dealer said I need new front tires. Do they really only last 16k? Can I just out the rears on the front? Thanks

· Registered
846 Posts
It sounds like the tires haven't been rotated on a regular basis. The fronts bear most of the load
(weight,steering,acceleration,braking), therefore they wear faster than the rears. It depends on your circumstances, but the tires should get more miles on them if the front end is in alignment spec's and the pressure is monitored.

· Registered
979 Posts
How many miles before you need new tires? I have 16K Miles on mine and my Dealer said I need new front tires. Do they really only last 16k? Can I just out the rears on the front? Thanks
I remember reading about this not too long ago, but can't remember where. It might have been one of the tire sites (tire rack, discount tire, etc). They said you need to have the tires with better traction on the rear of front-wheel drive cars. I'm pretty sure it was to keep the back end from sliding out around corners.

· Registered
1,033 Posts
If you maintain your car via a dealer they are supposed to rotate the tires for you at every maintenance interval. If you do your maintenance yourself you should rotate your tires every 5000 miles. Also you should get an alignment every 2-4 years, depending on what you drive over every day (railroad crossings, potholes, etc).

I did get almost 24,000 miles on my OEM Goodyears (I think they were RS-As?) and would have gotten a bit more but one tire picked up a nail and the tire was judged not repairable.

16,000 seems a bit soon but if your wheels are misaligned they will wear out quicker. If the tires are wearing unevenly or if the wear bars are showing you don't have much choice.

Just treat it as an opportunity to get better tires (and maybe aftermarket alloy wheels at the same time!)

· Registered
846 Posts
I would have gotten more miles out of my OEM tires (20k), but they were showing signs of dry rot and I was going to drive the expressway a lot more. The new ones are Michealin
and got one size bigger 215's. I most likely paid extra, but they handle and ride great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.