Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on getting the Focal F10's from Tirerack and also tires. Tirerack charges $220 for new sensors that they install on the wheels which will be mounted to the new tires.
Tirerack indicates I'll have to read the owners manual or take the car to the dealer for the car to read the new sensors.
Am I right assuming that pressing that button under the steering wheel will make the car learn the new sensors? Is it worth paying Tirerack $220 or is there any other cheaper way?

· Registered
979 Posts
No, the button under the dash just resets them if the light goes off. You have to take it somewhere to have the sensors linked to the onboard computer. Some have said that local tire shops will do it free/cheap. You might want to call around and ask.

If you don't have sensors then you will have to live with the tire pressure warning light being on all the time. That bothers some people more than others.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Now I'm thinking it would be cheaper to get everything from a local tire shop. They beat Tirerack on the price of the tires and quoted $20 per sensor for rebuild. Dunno what they want for the Focals. Guess I'll find out.

· Registered
528 Posts
Why not transfer the original sensors to the new wheels? Why pay for new sensors?
So you can have two sets of wheels with sensors and not have to pay for mount/remount/balance, plus the continual risk of the tire shop accidentally tearing a bead. Sure they may replace the tire, but it's doubtful if it's a decently worn tire.

I have a buddy that works at a Toyota/Scion dealer that resets my computer to my new sensors.

· Registered
846 Posts
From what I've read in the past,the onboad computer only recognizes one det of sensors at a time. Therefore, if you change tire sets often, you'll have to reprogram the computer each time. Maybe it's me, but that sounds crazy.

· Registered
64 Posts
Go local.. Discount wouldn't even change mine out and claimed I needed new ones (put old wheel sensors on new wheels)
How ever the neighborhood I live in shop wanted $40 a tire to do it. Went to my old hood in the ghetto and got it for $10 a tire plus balance and rotate!! Stay away from discount ntb and all tho big names!!

· Registered
1,033 Posts
Go local.. Discount wouldn't even change mine out and claimed I needed new ones (put old wheel sensors on new wheels)
When I got my alloy wheels and wanted to move the TPMS sensors from the OEM wheels to the new wheels,, Discount Tire insisted that they had no choice but to rebuild my TPMS sensors, despite the fact that I had my new car for only one week and with only 240 miles on the odometer.

· Registered
846 Posts
I'm glad you weren't ask to have the muffler bearings replaced also. These guys make themselves look stupid!

· Registered
601 Posts
From what I've read in the past,the onboad computer only recognizes one det of sensors at a time. Therefore, if you change tire sets often, you'll have to reprogram the computer each time. Maybe it's me, but that sounds crazy.
Ok so if you don't get a set of TPMS for each set of wheels and reprogram each time... then what? Just have a light on with no TPMS or you have the tires broken down and remounted and TPMS rebuilt each time you switch? That sounds crazy to me.

I was planning to get a new set of wheels and tires some time in the future, and thought it would be great to have TPMS for both. I have already had need of my TPMS shortly after buying my new xB. I've seen used TPMS for good prices before. If I have it in both, I could switch the wheel/tire sets myself in my driveway. I don't plan to do it that much but would be nice if I could do it myself and not have to take it to a tire shop, wait without a car, and pay money. It's annoying that I'd have to go somewhere to have the car programmed everytime I switch, but better than having them break down the tires each time to get the TPMS.

This situation just seems ridiculous to me. Am I missing something? Does everyone just have the TPMS light stuck on because of this?

· Registered
979 Posts
Does everyone just have the TPMS light stuck on because of this?
Yep. Or there is the idea of putting the sensors in a sealed pressurized tube in the back with the spare. But that only turns off the light and tells you nothing about your tire pressure.

· Registered
601 Posts
Yep. Or there is the idea of putting the sensors in a sealed pressurized tube in the back with the spare. But that only turns off the light and tells you nothing about your tire pressure.
Yep. I'm more concerned with the TPMS not actually working than the light being on. Without it, my car would have been sitting on my rim for quite a while at work. I saw the light just before getting to work in the morning, then when I parked I looked around and heard the air hissing out of my tire, still mostly full at the time.

Thanks for the product links. That is actually kind of attractive, saving trips to the shop, hassle, and cost, especially if it got passed around among a bunch of people. Maybe we need to buy one for forum people and just pay shipping to pass it around when needed. Just an idea.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.