Scion XB Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had auto crash in Oct 20014, and still recovering from March shoulder operation. Have wanted a Gen 1 for a while, and the car crash required I replace my Corolla.

Corolla had 411,652 miles when it was totaled by insurance, was clean, shinny and always started quickly on the cold/hottest.wet days. It was low, and very responsive and I was given a few dollars they thought was ample.

Now I shall try a Silver Gen 1 Box, and see what I have been missing.

I was cycling 500 miles a month on a Jamis Ventura Race, am trying to recover my previous form/skill on a Orbea Orca.

The search is on for a bicycle rack, and I have not seen one that will hold a bicycle in the vertical position with fork attached to the spoiler I will need to add modification to the box (believe that is possible).

JR

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picked up the the new to me 2006 xB from Ontario, CA Saturday afternoon and drove to Las Vegas, NV. Air conditioning almost froze me solid on trip from California. I kept adjusting the thermostat as the air conditioning is very effective, but the two trips to Strip and back home in 116°F warmth it seems the air conditioning is not capable of cooling well in the stop and go traffic.

Car drives nice at freeway speeds, and in town, it has less body roll than I imagined it would have. Today is Monday and I get to enjoy time @ the DMV, starting the procedure to change the registration. The xB is new to me, and after registration I will have the Air conditioning checked to see why it is not good in stop and go traffic. Then to clean and detail this car, as the paint seems dry and it certainly need a clay rub, and Vegas heat and sun shine is not kind to dry paint.

I am certainly enjoying the Box, it looks good parked, and drives much better than I imagined.

JR

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Discovered the slipping belt was most of the Air Conditioning problem, upon arriving in Vegas. Belt was badly cracked had to be replaced, also did an air conditioner evac and recharge, and things are good in the warmth of the Vegas Valley.

Have driven from Las Vegas to San Diego and returned, measured carefully and the car averaged 33 mile per gallon on the drive. I am quite delighted with this type of mileage. I need to learn how to drive with an egg between my foot and gas pedal while exploring the city streets.

Gas was over $4.38 around the the airport in San Diego, I managed to find a $3.25 price on East Balboa off the 163, around the corner from Mitsuwa Marketplace - Hawthorne Center - 4240 Kearny Mesa Rd. I discovered a wonderful Trek bicycle shop adjacent (south of grocery did not leave parking lot) of the Japanese grocery. Found & purchased some marked down sun sleeves, and winter arm warmers for a third of the price I pay here in Vegas.

Gasoline is $3.09 here in Vegas at the lower price gas stands.

I will drive back to San Diego beginning of August and carefully check mileage again. Above 30 miles per gallon and I will be quite happy, as the highway driving pleasure of this xB will cover the rest.

JR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts