Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys. Figure I will check with you all and check what you have to say. I'm wanting to upgrade my deck. Would like touchscreen. I want to keep my steering wheel controls. Not too worried about the aux input, but it's nice to have if I can. Need RCA out obviously. An something that can power some decent component sets until I can get an amp. I am open to brands, but don't want to get crazy with prices. I'm not afraid to install or splice wires. I'm just trying to get my wish list organized and prioritized. Either new door speakers or deck first. Have stock up front an kicker 6.5 coax in the back. Will eventually go to new components in both.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm not afraid to install or splice wires.
Still, something like Amazon.com: SCOSCHE TA02B Wiring Harness for 1987 and up Toyota: Car Electronics or Amazon.com: Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker: Car Electronics will help to speed the head unit install, and also allow you to quickly put the OEM head unit back in easily when time to sell. (Not sure why Amazon says the wiring adapters won't fit, Scoshe's and Metra's websites says it will fit).

I'm actually in the same situation as you (OEM head unit driving OEM front speakers and Kicker components in the rear doors). After a lot of thought and research, I've decided to upgrade my front door speakers first, and see how that sounds before updating the head unit (if I ever). I bought Amazon.com: Rockford Fosgate P1675-S 6.75" Punch Series Component System: Car Electronics from eBay (no tax) this past weekend, and hope to install them in the front doors this coming weekend. After I'm done, a new chapter will be added to my website that documents the install.

As to why I decided to keep the OEM head unit, that will be discussed on a separate thread...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm actually thinking about the same component set for my fronts. I want to see how you do your tweeters. I'd like to use the RF grills for the tweeters on the sails. I think that would look nice.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used hot glue on my car already. Definitely works. Easy to remove. No damage. And cheap

·
Registered
432 Posts
I went with the pioneer 2500 DVD bluetooth 2013 head unit. It's touch screen, but it could be better. Why haven't they put android OS onto every head unit yet? Ridiculous!

Anyways I am loading up files onto a USB thumb drive. I have a bypass that lets me watch video on the fly but I'm afraid to use it.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I want to bypass the parking brake on mine, but not so I can watch video. I can't type in an address on the gps unless the parking brake is on. Since the HU takes a minute or two to start, I have to sit in my driveway just waiting for it to load. Of course, I wouldn't type in addresses while driving, but a passenger could.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a friend his brother works in auto electronic stereo.
He has already quoted me to install 7" Touchscreen and he will put a bypass on the unit so it can run while im driving. Im excited to save up for this :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want satellite radio built in. Don't really want to have to have another screen thing to use it. That would be nice. GPS. Meh. I use my phone anyways. Sometimes Siri almost understands me.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
A put in a cheap 7" valor deck. Everything I need and more but the screen and background is pretty dull and boring and the touch screen could be a bit more sensitive but other then that I recommend!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.