Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this will be my last yoda-

they wanted to be like gmc and now they are there-

6-8 years they have known about the throttle control issues and just did something about it-not kool

if you bought a truck in the 90,s you bought frame rott,the fix was to get you to buy a new truck,now those have the same exact frame rott issues-so do they want you to buy a 3rd pos?

can i believe them that my scion wont have saftey issues like the others ?
i really wanted to get a tacoma -now way now

they have lost my trust-heck i get in my xb and wonder if it will kill me-they have a corporate attitude that warrants my distrust-

its a shame i didnt buy from the quality company i thought i did-im going looking at hondas this week

·
Registered
474 Posts
Enought said....Good-By!

Brewski

·
Registered
29 Posts
rosconey said:

they wanted to be like gmc and now they are there-

6-8 years they have known about the throttle control issues and just did something about it-not kool

if you bought a truck in the 90,s you bought frame rott,the fix was to get you to buy a new truck,now those have the same exact frame rott issues-so do they want you to buy a 3rd pos?

can i believe them that my scion wont have saftey issues like the others ?
i really wanted to get a tacoma -now way now

they have lost my trust-heck i get in my xb and wonder if it will kill me-they have a corporate attitude that warrants my distrust-

its a shame i didnt buy from the quality company i thought i did-im going looking at hondas this week
You should go looking at domestics. They are giving an extra $1k rebate to current toyota owners.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Your Scion was made in Japan so you do not have any throttle issues.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my xb has the tranny bang when down shifting-yet they claim no issue

they have become like gmc and ford-customer can die,its cheaper than fixing the issue in a timley manner-

you guys can keep you blind faith-till the day your car kills you-

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear that. I understand some of your frustration, though. Especially in light of the recent recalls, that they knew needed to be fixed.

I have not had any issues with my xB, nor Scion or Toyota as a company. But this xB is my first foray into that company at all, so time will tell.

I had issue with VW a few years back, that made me swear off ever buying another new VW.

Safteywise, not sure about the xB. I think I was fortunate 4 weeks ago in that I was not in my xB when I got rammed by a drunk driver. I was in a 5800lb van that absorbed the impact well enough to send me away with a few minor injuries. I have often wondered these past 4 weeks if the xB would have held up as well. I hope I nor anyone else has to find out.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
This recall is limited to pedals supplied by a SPECIFIC supplier: CTS
The issue on these is the pedal not returning to full non-depressed position when the foot lifts.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/toyota-consumer-safety-advisory-102572.aspx
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/manufacturing/statement-from-toyota-on-supplier-153203.aspx

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-01-29-toyotacts29_CV_N.htm
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ts-in-uncomfortable-spotlight/article1446670/
CTS: http://www.ctscorp.com/

Scion and Lexus use pedals from a different supplier.
So, our xBs won't be affected by this recall.

From what I have been able to tell, our pedals are made by Denso- one of CTS's rivals and a MUCH larger supplier.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
boblamb58 said:
Wow, sorry to hear that. I understand some of your frustration, though. Especially in light of the recent recalls, that they knew needed to be fixed.

I have not had any issues with my xB, nor Scion or Toyota as a company. But this xB is my first foray into that company at all, so time will tell.

I had issue with VW a few years back, that made me swear off ever buying another new VW.

Safteywise, not sure about the xB. I think I was fortunate 4 weeks ago in that I was not in my xB when I got rammed by a drunk driver. I was in a 5800lb van that absorbed the impact well enough to send me away with a few minor injuries. I have often wondered these past 4 weeks if the xB would have held up as well. I hope I nor anyone else has to find out.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety lists the 08-2010 (and on) as one of their "best buys" for safety.
http://www.iihs.org
So, the Scion is good there. Of course ANY wreck is a unique combination of factors that make the specific ideal vehicle vary widely and wildly from wreck to wreck.

·
Registered
782 Posts
rosconey said:
<snip>
Please, get yourself a Honda -- that's fine with me.

The first recall was thanks to a bunch of owners dropping in aftermarket floor carpets that weren't secured (the factory accessories have clips). When they predictably crept forward,if thick enough, they could trap the accelerator pedal. I guess this comes under the heading of the need for a manufacturer to be non-thinking customer proof.

The second recall is due to excessive condensation causing the CIT supplied accelerator pedals to stick. The Denso pedals are fine. All production and sales were halted and owners were informed of the recall. The NHTSA has approved of their handling of this recall (at least, that's what their spokesman said on CNN).

Sure, Toyota isn't perfect, but they're definitely not as bad as you're suggesting. Still -- bye, bye!

·
Registered
2008 xB
568 Posts
I understand how you feel, but don't expect anything different from Honda. I dumped an Element in favor of the xB because of problems that Honda refused to acknowledge. The final nail in the coffin was $1200 for a plugged heater core in a meticulously maintained vehicle just out of warranty. Six months after I sold the Element Honda issued a recall and I got reimbursed. If they'd handled it in the first place, I'd probably still be an Element owner. Instead I drive an xB and feel about Honda the way you do about Toyota.

Oh,,,and I prefer the xB over the Element.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I'll add my two cents: I've been driving Toyotas since 1977 when I got tired of all the domestic crap I had been driving. I traded a 2000 4Runner on my first xB in 2008. Now, I have my second xB and am just as crazy about it as I was my 1977 Celica GT. I went right back to Toyota after a couple of Subaru cars. I wish you the best with your new Honda. Just remember: When Hondas sleep, they dream of being Scions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:wave: :wave: :wave:

throttle control issues
tranny bang when down shifting

i never had any problem like that with any toyota before........... camry... then corolla.. now xb
oo well... :wave: :wave: :wave: to you...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I'm not going to worry about my pedal sticking... Scion and Lexus haven't been mentioned once that I have seen.

My mom drives an '07 Honda Pilot (before that it was an '04 Honda Pilot). Our whole family loves that car, but we like my xB even more.

Both Honda and Toyota make the best cars out there in my opinion. Great cars from both teams.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Let me remind you folks of something .

You control the car it does not control you. If my throttle sticks 2 things will happen I will throw it into neutral or park and turn the engine off, its real simple not the first car that has had sticking throttle. My 57 chevy linkage got caught up in the plug wires one time. Dual carter wcfbs at full song will make you do things quickly.

Oh yeah I hate anti-lock brakes too .

·
Registered
474 Posts
Aljay said:

You control the car it does not control you. If my throttle sticks 2 things will happen I will throw it into neutral or park and turn the engine off, its real simple not the first car that has had sticking throttle. My 57 chevy linkage got caught up in the plug wires one time. Dual carter wcfbs at full song will make you do things quickly.

According to the show "Myth Busters" you can put your automatic transmission in "park" but it will not stop or slow down the vehicle (selector will be in park, but will not engage.) (Nor will it engage "reverse".) In addition, don't "turn off the engine" until you have moved the vehicle (coasting) off the road or out of traffic....as turning off the engine will result in lost power steering and power braking.

Brewski

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
On the VERY rare case that an accelerator stick wide-open:
The solution is to pop it into neutral, then use the brakes and steering to get to a safe place, The rev limiter will help limit engine damage.
If you can determine that the pedal is stuck, put the tip of a toe under it and pop it up with your toes. If not real easy, do it after you stop.

Other things could also cause it to stick, but all are exceedingly rare. In all cases, putting the tranny in neutral solves the main problem, while brakes and steering gets you to a safe place out of traffic so you can figure out what happened.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Stuff happens to all vehicles. I've owned domestic/foreign, some were good, some stink.

I will be surprised if this fix cures the problem Toyota's is having. Someone said that it's moisture cause corrosion and that leads to the pedal sticking. I believe if that is the case we would have Toyota's going out of control all over the place.

Just remember to put the phone/texting down while driving and be ready to react if something goes wrong while driving.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Someone name me 1 automaker that has not had a recall give me a break. And now chevy is trying to compare their fuel mileage against Toyota. They should have been trying to beat them along time ago. Chevy might beat them in fuel mileage for now but what about quality and durability.

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,338 Posts
I'll state a DIFFERENT take on recall . . .
Which would you like:
1) Ignore a problem exists, do nothing publicly and blame the owners, all the while looking for a fix to sneak into production, that is IF such is cost effective (keeping it secret).

2) Recall when a certain problem appears on enough models for there too be recall, which follows identification of a problem AND isolation of a specific problem that CAN be fixed.
Actually, the more rare the problem, the more unlikely to affect most owners, AND the wider it is, the more it makes me give Kudos to a manufacturer.

The US manufacturers have been NOTORIOUS in doing the first one . . .
A couple decade ago, Audi did a recall b/c people were putting their foot on the gas rather than the brake (the pedals were placed close together like in European cars). As a result people turned on their cars, put their foot on the gas pedal and shifted out of park. The cars would "suddenly acceleration" and caused a number of spectacular crashed. So, they recalled to install a block wherein one could ONLY shift from park with the brake on (which is normal on ALL automatics now). That was in the late 1980s . . . and the "face" vehicle was the Audi 5000.
Now, I LEARNED to drive in a gray 1985 Audi 5000 (my father's old car). It WAS the kind in the recall. So, I knew exactly how it happened. Though people said they hit the brake hard enough to break their seat, I tested it in an empty lot. The brakes could hold the car until near full throttle and then only creep forward then. They HAD to be on the gas for ANY sudden acceleration.
One news channel ran a show on the recall and nearly killed the Audi brand in the US. It took nearly a decade for it recover and the "Audi 5000" name is still tarnished from it.
What Audi DID was to ID what was happening when owners made mistakes and did a recall to keep it from happening in the future (even when it really wasn't their fault). They ALSO made that standard on ALL future cars from the VW Group of companies.
Instead of upsetting us w/ Audi when we HAD one, it impressed us. Many years later, I remember it.
(That Audi died when my grandmother borrowed it from us after killing her car. At the time, it was "mine." She dropped something on the floor, reached down to pick it up, crossed into head on traffic, hit a courier in a small car, then went through a hedge and into a Rolls Royce parked at a Dunkin Donuts -I am NOT kidding. She walked away with minor injuries and the Audi looked to be in good shape. Thanks to that recall, it wasn't worth anything and was totaled, while the other cars were totaled too- 4 in all. Later, we tested the Audi in the lot where it was towed. After filling the coolant, it ran (we shut it back off after the water ran back out of the cracked radiator). I believe it COULD have been fixed if not for that news story. So, I had an instance when a recall got misrepresented and it cost me. -I got my 1987 VW Vanagon as a replacement for the prematurely killed Audi.- )

·
Registered
294 Posts
Brewski said:
Aljay said:

According to the show "Myth Busters" you can put your automatic transmission in "park" but it will not stop or slow down the vehicle (selector will be in park, but will not engage.) (Nor will it engage "reverse".) In addition, don't "turn off the engine" until you have moved the vehicle (coasting) off the road or out of traffic....as turning off the engine will result in lost power steering and power braking.

Brewski
Myth busters those two guys are tools sometimes and this is one of those times. I am big enough to steer this "little" car with the motor off sorry man I have done it before. The chip fell out of its holder on my F-250 a few years back and I steered it just fine when it died do to the chip falling out. I have 33" tires on my truck and its a diesel. Allen

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.