Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the net effect of having aftermarket wheels installed without new TPMS sensors? Do you just have to get used to having a dash warning light on all the time, or is there more to it than that? I want to get some alloy wheels for summer, and use the stock wheels in winter. I'm having a hard time justifying $346 for new TPMS sensors just to get rid of a dash warning light for 5-6 months of the year.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
$346. YIKES! A while back I was in Sears looking at rims (don't ask) and I asked the guy there about TPMS. He said $10 (or was it $12?) a tire for theirs. Unless I totally misunderstood him.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Pretty much its just the light on constantly. Although if its cold in the morning it might not come on.

Dude if you can get TPMS sensors for $10 or even $12 bucks that would totally rock.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've been living with the idiot light since I got my new rims & tires back in September.

·
Registered
62 Posts
eviljack said:
Pretty much its just the light on constantly. Although if its cold in the morning it might not come on.

Dude if you can get TPMS sensors for $10 or even $12 bucks that would totally rock.
Have to side with Eviljack on this.

I bought Motegi racing rims and the sensors were only a few bucks more. My light never came on and I've had my rims on since early August 07. Hope you can get them cheaper to have the idiot light out. :confused: OUCH! :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
See I Got lucky the place where I had my rims installed the guys were used to doing rims with those sensors soo they just took it out of my stock wheels and had then install on my rims... it was great...

·
Registered
66 Posts
sorry for the caps

NOTE: I took the liberty of editing out the caps for ease of viewing. I hope you don't mind. NOTHING was changed otherwise.
If you wish to change your post, click the modify button on the upper right of the window of your post after you post it.
boblamb58

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tire Rack wants $86 per wheel (which actually works out to $344) for new sensors. Either $10-$12 is just to transfer the original sensors to new wheels, Tire Rack is selling gold plated sensors, or ??

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've been able to find the sensor as low as $80.00 but no more than 90. I had mine taken off the stock rims and put on the new ones. I am either going to pick up new sensors 1 at a time or i will run the snow tires without the sensor. I figure the snow tires will be on for the shorter time. (4 months)

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you get new sensors they will have to be programmed by Scion/Toyota, for a fee. If you have winter/summer tires you will have to return to the dealer to have your TPMS reprogrammed so your car will recognize the sensors everytime your change wheels for the season. The cost of doing this will add up over time.

Someone on another board was going to try to put the sensors in a PVC pipe( drill four holes and mount them), seal up the ends, pump some air pressure in the sealed PVC pipe and keep it in the back of the car where the spare tire is located to fool the computer. Sounds like it could work.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
scion said:
If you get new sensors they will have to be programmed by Scion/Toyota, for a fee. If you have winter/summer tires you will have to return to the dealer to have your TPMS reprogrammed so your car will recognize the sensors everytime your change wheels for the season. The cost of doing this will add up over time.

Someone on another board was going to try to put the sensors in a PVC pipe( drill four holes and mount them), seal up the ends, pump some air pressure in the sealed PVC pipe and keep it in the back of the car where the spare tire is located to fool the computer. Sounds like it could work.
Quite honestly I would just rather deal with the light on.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You could do the homer simpson thing and fix the light coming on problem by covering it with electrical tape...

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Ok, I called 2 different Sears Auto Stores. They both told me the same thing.

1. The TPMS can be re-used (they are sensors attached to or inside the valve stems.. I wasn't quite sure of what they told me on that concept.)
2. Up to $25 for programming. For all 4, not each.

I don't know if they'd do it for rims not purchased at Sears, but it never hurts to ask.

If Sears will do it, I am pretty sure Wal-Mart and maybe K-Mart will as well. And probably Pep-Boys and other chain-store tire outlets. And all likely for a lot less than $80.00 per tire.

·
Registered
266 Posts
boblamb58 said:

1. The TPMS can be re-used (they are sensors attached to or inside the valve stems.. I wasn't quite sure of what they told me on that concept.)

I don't know if they'd do it for rims not purchased at Sears, but it never hurts to ask.

If Sears will do it, I am pretty sure Wal-Mart and maybe K-Mart will as well. And probably Pep-Boys and other chain-store tire outlets. And all likely for a lot less than $80.00 per tire.
Yes, but keep in mind that if you purchase wheels & tires that already come balanced and mounted, you're not just paying for sensor reprogramming when you go to get them taken out of your old tires and into your new ones, you're paying for:

• Original Tire Dismount from rims
  • Original Tire Valve Stem Replacement
  • Remount Original Tires to rims
  • Dismount new tires from new rims
  • Valve stem removal on new rims & installation of sensors
  • Sensor reprogramming to new tire's recommended PSI
  • Mount & Balance new tires to new rims
  • Install new wheels on vehicle

NOTE: By "mount" I mean the act of installing & inflating a tire to a rim; "dismount" is the opposite.

To encompass all of this, when I asked the Toyota service center how much it would be to put my stock sensors in my new rims, they told me I would be charged for mounting/balancing 8 tires, a tire rotation, and reprogramming the sensors. This is because they don't really have a way of charging otherwise. The cost was going to be $150 total. Hence I'm living with the idiot light.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Ross said:
boblamb58 said:

Yes, but keep in mind that if you purchase wheels & tires that already come balanced and mounted, you're not just paying for sensor reprogramming when you go to get them taken out of your old tires and into your new ones, you're paying for:

• Original Tire Dismount from rims
  • Original Tire Valve Stem Replacement
  • Remount Original Tires to rims
  • Dismount new tires from new rims
  • Valve stem removal on new rims & installation of sensors
  • Sensor reprogramming to new tire's recommended PSI
  • Mount & Balance new tires to new rims
  • Install new wheels on vehicle

NOTE: By "mount" I mean the act of installing & inflating a tire to a rim; "dismount" is the opposite.

To encompass all of this, when I asked the Toyota service center how much it would be to put my stock sensors in my new rims, they told me I would be charged for mounting/balancing 8 tires, a tire rotation, and reprogramming the sensors. This is because they don't really have a way of charging otherwise. The cost was going to be $150 total. Hence I'm living with the idiot light.
hey Ross

actually, $150 for that is a good price from a dealer - i think mine charges $40 for a high speed balance on 4 wheels alone...

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
In response to Ross, yes , those charges should also be taken into consideration, but that's not what this thread was about.

·
Registered
266 Posts
boblamb58 said:
In response to Ross, yes , those charges should also be taken into consideration, but that's not what this thread was about.
Yes it is. The original post says that Geezer is having trouble justifying a $346 price tag for new sensors. I was trying to explain where some of the cost may have come from, as well as provide the cost I was provided by the Toyota dealership. Re-use of the factory sensors in the new wheels is a more affordable alternative, an idea that the author of the original post was considering, and a subject that you brought up in your last post.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My main concern is that the worst that can happen by not having sensors in the aftermarket wheels is the "always on" warning light.

I don't plan to take the sensors out of the factory wheels because I'll use them in winter. The decision then is whether to pop for a second set of sensors or look at the idiot light from April-October. Tire Rack's price just gets the sensors in the wheels. They still need to be programmed, but I was under the impression that programming the sensors is a DIY operation. Switching sensors from one set of wheels to the other (twice a year) is out of the question.

Based on the feedback from this thread I've pretty much decided to do without the sensors initially, but may add them later if the idiot light really bugs me. With a graphic design background, I may try a Homer Simpson variation. I'm also thinking about doing an overlay labelled "Boost", "NOX" or something like that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts