Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang, I wanted to give an update. I've created the PVC pipe capsule for my TPMS sensors........and it works!

I bought some wheels, and I took the TPMS sensors from the steelies and placed them all inside a 3" diameter piece of PVC and glued on two endcaps. Before gluing on the second endcap, I drilled a hole and placed a regular rubber valve stem in it. I even put some small pieces of foam inside to keep the sensors from rattling around. I sealed it all up and inflated it to 35 PSI. I placed the contraption in the trunk area underneath the trunk floor in the small well on the right side. The TPMS light on the dash went out within 1 minute. It hasn't returned in weeks.

Total cost about $10. Total time about 20 minutes.

DIsclaimer: DO not perform this trick, It will defeat the purpose of the TPMS system. I accept no responsibility if you try this ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Re: TPMS PVC trick works!

you are a hero to all xB owners, i salute you for your bravery, and willingness to f*** up your sensors in the name of modification!!! :cheers: :clapping: 8)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Well done!

Now just make sure you print a copy of this thread and carry it in your glovebox in case you get stopped by Homeland Security.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geezer said:
Well done!

Now just make sure you print a copy of this thread and carry it in your glovebox in case you get stopped by Homeland Security.
I thought of that. It won't be the white glove treatment.

Snap.

Gulp. :x

·
Registered
613 Posts
Maytag said:
Disclaimer: No sensors were harmed while making this film. :D
hilarious...i still freakin' love this mod!

·
Registered
45 Posts
interesting.......

·
Registered
739 Posts
As long as you check your tire pressure this is a great solution to swapping out your wheels for the winter. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying new TPMS if anything goes wrong with them.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Smart idea.Let us know how long the pressure holds up.Also maybe put a label on it
"DO NOT DISCARD"

·
Registered
151 Posts
That is awesome man. You are a genius lol. Im sure thats not gonna leak air and if it does just add lol, super easy. Deff put a label on it or something... i can see the bomb squad being called in to the dealership when you bring your car in for service. hahaha

·
Registered
559 Posts
is this just a winter wheel fix? I can change out the TPMS for around $30 to add them in the wheel/tire if it didnt have any. How much did supplies cost as opposed to just doing it right?

·
Registered
739 Posts
It is not just a winter fix. The TMPS are rather expensive and then you have to get them programmed. With this you don't have to worry about what wheels you put on the car and you don't have to worry about the dash warning light coming on. You just have to make sure you check your tire pressure every once in a while. As far as cost: It is two PVC Caps, a Short length of PVC, the Glue and a Tire Valve. I think mine cost me about 15 to 20.00 tops. I have had this in my car for over a year and have not experienced any problems with it.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Gang, I wanted to give an update. I've created the PVC pipe capsule for my TPMS sensors........and it works!

I bought some wheels, and I took the TPMS sensors from the steelies and placed them all inside a 3" diameter piece of PVC and glued on two endcaps. Before gluing on the second endcap, I drilled a hole and placed a regular rubber valve stem in it. I even put some small pieces of foam inside to keep the sensors from rattling around. I sealed it all up and inflated it to 35 PSI. I placed the contraption in the trunk area underneath the trunk floor in the small well on the right side. The TPMS light on the dash went out within 1 minute. It hasn't returned in weeks.

Total cost about $10. Total time about 20 minutes.

DIsclaimer: DO not perform this trick, It will defeat the purpose of the TPMS system. I accept no responsibility if you try this ;)

It's that time of year again and I'm thinking of doing this. My question is, what size(dia.) valve stem is needed to fit the steel rims and how long are they?
Thanks, Dale

·
Royal Floor Sweeper
4,314 Posts
To inflate the canister once sealed.
(Not my idea or recommendation)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.