Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I'm not a newbie to forums, but I sure am to the xB forum! I have a question about some new wheels that I put on the xB a few days ago.

I have been wanting wheels for a while now. I finally found a clean set of 2012 tC wheels (with tires!) on craigslist. I went and checked them out and they were in great shape, so I took them home and threw them on. I couldn't be happier with the look. They go awesome with the stingray metallic. Classy, not gaudy. Toyota center caps too; the guy I bought them from had them on a Camry. I like them.

Anyway, the question I have is about the TPMS sensors. My light came on recently. Flashing for about a minute then on steady which, as I read in the manual, indicates an error acquiring tire pressures. Seeing as how the steelies are in the basement for storage, that makes sense.

I have done some research on the subject regarding the relearn, apparently the TPMS reset button is to the right underneath the dashboard? I haven't looked for it yet. But I was hoping someone who has put new wheels on their xB could share their experience with it with regards to what specifically had to be done to re-sync the senors. Is it as simple as taking it to a tire shop, having them hit the sensors in the tires with the reset machine (I found that online, considered just buying one but too costly at $200) and just press the car's TPMS reset button? A local shop said with some cars it was that easy and they could do that procedure for $25, which is a lot more reasonable.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to pay the $75 the dealer wants to re-initialize them if I can't help it. Thank you in advance!

· Registered
10 Posts
I had this when the new rims were installed on mine, & they reused the TPMS sensors. Once the bad sensor was replaced, the problem went away. As to the question, the little square button is down there, below the steering wheel, and hold it in until lights goes out, (may flash first, don't recall), but unless you refill the tires to proper inflation, it'll come right back on. I believe your xB thinks the new tires are at the wrong pressure, but holding in the button should reset the computer.

· Registered
979 Posts
Just to be clear, you still have the original sensors in your steelies (in the basement) and your tC rims have a set of their own, right?

If so, then the button on the dash shouldn't do anything. What that does is zero out the sensors to tell them the current readings are to be used as the baseline. You are correct that you have to go to a tire shop to have them paired with your xB first.

The tC rims do look nice on an xB. 8)

· Registered
979 Posts
oops, I suppose the tire shop did that for me, & I did not realize it.
this is not the first time I've been wrong, just the first time in this thread
Lol, I try not to count how many times I've been wrong!

· Registered
64 Posts
Alot of the big name tire shops will overcharge, go to a hole in the wall shop. I paid $40 to have mine changed over to new wheels. Dint even have to reset the light just went away. Discount tire tried to tell me it wasnt posible and tried to sell me new sensors for big$$.. they lie.

· Registered
979 Posts
Yeah I just called NTB the other day to see how much another set of sensors would be for my summer wheels - about $65 each ($320 installed).

They are $45 each at Costco. Since they were out of stock when I got my new tires Friday they won't charge me for installation when they come in.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the quick responses! Yes, Zinger, you are correct. I have the stock wheels with sensors in them that are down in storage now. Since the new wheels are newer tC wheels I would like to use the sensors that are already mounted in those wheels so that I don't have to swap sensors around and stuff.

I believe I found the TPMS button, just have to take it in to get the sensors reset.

So just to be sure, pressing the TPMS button doesn't allow it to learn new sensors, just relearn the pressures of the existing ones? That's unfortunate, but about what I expected. I'll try to find a smaller shop that will pair them cheaply. Ridiculous that the dealer wants $75 to pair a couple sensors!

Thanks, guys! Just got a spoiler too, can't wait to get that on there.

· Registered
979 Posts
So just to be sure, pressing the TPMS button doesn't allow it to learn new sensors, just relearn the pressures of the existing ones?
Yeah, if pushing the button made the ECU read nearby sensors, there would be no way to keep it from syncing to a car next to you! I'm pretty sure they have to program in the serial numbers of your sensors.

I've thought about buying this.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, me too. With that one you input the serial numbers manually and it will reset them. I think it keeps two sets of wheels in memory for easy switching. That would be cool. There's another (more expensive) module also from ateq that will read and reset your sensors without the need to know the serials. I don't want to take the plunge on either of them; it's a hard decision to make. It will make fiscal sense over time, but not exactly something that I would like to afford at the moment.

I'll probably just take it to a tire shop this time and purchase the module this winter when I switch back to the steelies. I appreciate the help, guys!

· Registered
979 Posts
I saw another ateq for $75 that does one wheel at a time. You hold it next to the tire sensor and push a button. When it find the sensor, you program it to the car. I didn't see how to do that part though.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That would be helpful, I'll look for that one. That may be what I need.

Interesting development, though: does the warning light go away if you ignore it long enough? I picked up the wheels and installed them last Sunday (3/31) and yesterday afternoon (a week later to the hour) the warning light went out. Drove it about 30 minutes twice yesterday and no tire pressure light to speak of. If it stays off then I think I'll probably ignore it for now and save up extra cash to get that $150 module. I'll just have to monitor tire pressures the old fashioned way; by hand.

· Registered
457 Posts
It'll come back on again after awhile. Mine did this when I swapped to some temporary wheels while refinishing my daily set. Came on, went away for a bit, flashed for awhile, then cam on again, and so on...

The other option to reseting the system is to ignore it with one set of wheels. I do this when I put my show tires on, but it is only for short periods of time not weeks on end.

· Registered
846 Posts
Or, a piece of black electrical tape over the indicator light would do also.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.