Scion XB Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post guys and gals so here I go........after doing an motor oil change today (I do one about every 3 to 4 thousand miles) I checked my transsmission fluid dipstick and it looked a little darkish, tranny has 41k miles, I know we are not to worry until 100k miles, or is it good for ever?, but anyway I went to my dealer and bought 4qts of fluid (ATFWS) at 7.78 each and it looks super easy to do.................My question for you techies out there is anything else I should know before I drain the tranny's fluid?

I know it takes 3.5 qts right? and is 7.78 a lot for a quart of tranny fluid too much? and if the tranny fluid is suppose to last for ever why is there a drain plug on the tranny's pan?

In my opinion, nothing lasts for ever, in fact I think I waited a little too long I should it change the tranny's fluid at 20k miles and then every 20k there after.

Thankx.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is very straight forward... I have done a drain/fill on mine twice now (at 17k and 35k). Just get the car hot first by driving it for 10-15mins or whatnot, then pull the plug until it stops dripping (be careful, it will be hot and is VERY watery). Once done, replace the plug (If you torque, I did mine to 30ft/lbs and has been fine). It will drain about 3.5qts, so just fill from the top and you are all done. Half the work of an oil change. I plan to keep up with mine every 15k.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Dude. said:
do you need to change it in a manual?
After reviewing the 2008 xB Scheduled Maintenance Guide, I find no requirement to change either the manual or auto transmission fluids. These fluids are check at 30,000 mile 36 month intervals out to 120,000 miles or 144 months. IMO changing fluids (oil, coolant, transmission, etc.) prior to needed is not the best practice....when the money can be spent on mods.... :sick:nor is a "green" thing to be doing.

Brewski

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.